Question for the day!

CMRracing

QUESTION OF THE DAY!!!!
When it comes to chain length and engine position do you try and keep the chain as short as possible and let that dictate where the engine position is and add weight where needed to obtain proper percentages or place the engine in the proper position for percentages and let that dictate chain length?

this is JMO, i would rather it be as short as possible for a variety of reasons;
1. less chain would give less slop in the driveline therefore delivering power to the wheels faster. (like i said this is my opinoin)
2. less chain so in the event it breaks, there is less to hit you if it takes the chain cover off when the chain snaps (i know this from personal experience. twice in one day and 2 trips to the emergency room!)
3. if the motor is farther back, it gives less of a chance to get your arm burnt!

i would rather have the motor as far back as possible and throw a little weight in where i needed it than to have that motor and chain buzzing beside me with only a fiberglass seat in between to keep it from hitting me.

X2 on the shorter chain that seat nor aluminum chain gaurd will stop that chain I'd rather take the chance with a smaller chain

I always have the engine as far forward as possible. There is a big difference between getting correct nose weight with lead, versus having a 35 pound engine sitting right on top of the RR tire

I always have the engine as far forward as possible. There is a big difference between getting correct nose weight with lead, versus having a 35 pound engine sitting right on top of the RR tire

I see in the picture you in a cage kart. Is there a difference between cage and flat, for reasons for motor position?

Funny after over 30 yrs. of kart racing I never thought about that short chain being safer, even after seeing an arm cut from elbow most of the way up to shoulder, also Maybe that is another huge reason for using a Jack Shaft when ever possible.

QUESTION OF THE DAY!!!!
When it comes to chain length and engine position do you try and keep the chain as short as possible and let that dictate where the engine position is and add weight where needed to obtain proper percentages or place the engine in the proper position for percentages and let that dictate chain length?

Which weighs more, an engine or a chain? I'd let engine position for percentages would be of more value. And a shorter chain safer? Moot point if guarded properly. Longer chains make fewer revolutions too.

how is that? Same gear ratio, same speed, seems to me, if anything, the chain would have to travel faster, but fewer revolutions? You have to explain that to me!

Longer chain, for example, if you had a 10' chain vs a 40" chain how many rotations of the rear sprocket would it take to get to the end of each chain...

So the "chain" revolutions would be "slightly" less in this short vs long chain discussion

He's not taking about gear ratio

I keep mine in middle, don't want to be adding or removing links when I need to change 3 teeth. About 110 links on flat kart, on my champ for Indoors I put a 120 link on and it was pretty close to center maybe a little in favor of the nose.

Back