Question on Tire duro readings

F1F21

So I’ve got a friend who recently took over promoter duties at a track and he asked me an interesting question regarding tire and duro readings. So in this area the clones run on treads and the RR has to read 48 or higher after the main event. In the past this has been an open tire rule track and he’s afraid of things getting out of hand when guys are running slicks and have 10 sets of tires with them. So would it be the same to have the same number reading rule for both a slick and tread? Does the slicks require a different reading because it’s a slick or does that duro meter not care in a sense? May be a silly question but I told him I’d ask the guru’s on here because I figured I’d get the best answer here. Thanks!

Durometer doesn't care what it measure's . 48 is on the edge of soft .
Jmo but if you do this ,
your going to have a hard row to hoe .

To add to flattops posr,

The reading is influenced by the thickness of the rubber.

A 48 durometer full rubber tire is significantly different than a corded tire measuring the same duro.
Something to think about..

Do your friend a favor, tell him to forget about a duro rule on slicks, it will just turn into a BIG mess.
The thing is everywhere else is treads only in this area and I’m pushing for that personally but in the heat of the summer here in central CA the track takes rubber so much that the slicks come in well. We just don’t want guys to have to have so many sets of tires that’s why I asked the question on the durometer.

The thing is everywhere else is treads only in this area and I’m pushing for that personally but in the heat of the summer here in central CA the track takes rubber so much that the slicks come in well. We just don’t want guys to have to have so many sets of tires that’s why I asked the question on the durometer.
If your racing on one set of treads , just specify one set of tires per class .
Mark them at the grid just before the heats or qualifying .

Durometer rules are also subject to the temperature of the tire. Be VERY careful checking them after a race -- one guy abuses the RR abit and all the sudden he'll be called wrong -- and why - because his set up was off slightly, the track prep crew didn't put as much water in the track that week, the sun was shining brightly that day?
Besides, there are plenty of preps that add bite but do not drop the duro- our Black Bite 2.0 is one such prep.
Definitely NOT a fan of duro rules.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Unless its a high horsepower class, ditch the treads! They aren't needed and don't work on Clone stock classes.
...or at the very least spec the correct size treads! (unlike many tracks and promoters have done by spec'ing the 250 and 500cc winged outlaw cage kart tires.) Treads are still cut and prepped. We do it all the time.

Attachments

• Resized_20200321_190018.jpg
    Resized_20200321_190018.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 24
Back