Question Pink & Blue Maxxis tires

brittbullock09

Hey we are very new to racing and I have a question. A lot of people tell us we need to use ?used? tires. Why? Every time I ask why no one can really break it down for me. Why is it better? How used? What should I look for? I?m finding out the hard way not many people offer any help and we have so much to learn. We are racing in Eastern North Carolina.

I have a few sets of takeoffs. I am starting out as well. I also have new tires but the used tires helped me get started for budget reasons and I'm still running them at times. One thing I didn't do I wish I had was know what had been rolled internally in them. Who's inside prep and how many cc's, how many times rolled. If you get up with a tire prep guy it will help him get you right on those tires in relation to cc's rolled ect. instead of guessing. Good luck!

More times than not with Maxxis new is better, however on some tracks used is the ticket provided they were rolled internal with proper cc, I'd say you just happen to be racing at a track that likes older thinner rubber, don't count on that working out across the board in general, what track you racing ?

What racing promotor said. We have raced Maxxis pinks and blues at a hard track that presents some traction challenges, about 70 miles south of his normal stomping grounds, and we would caution anyone running them to be careful of the definition of "used". We have to flip all 4 on the rims after three races, then we get 2 more races on the rights and sometimes 3 more on the lefts, then they are junk if you wish to be competitive, so they are not tires you get many races out of.

Agree with both of the gentlemen above, BUT considering that you are from North Carolina and many of your tracks bite up considerably more than ours up norf, I'd not be going out on a limb to say that a well seasoned, scuffed, etc tire would be the ticket at most tracks. Having a sharp edge / shoulder is what you are really looking to keep - once that is gone, generally the tire is done. Learn with what you've got, and as Cakalac suggested, be sure to find out what (and how much) and when a particular internal prep was rolled in your used tires.
If you get with a local tire guy that's successful at your tracks, you can likely get some of their take-offs and valuable guidance from an expert, which will speed the learning curve considerably. Just be sure that your tire guy (ie source of information) is telling you ALL that he is doing to the tires and that you are getting the information that you need to be successful on your own when the time comes that he is not there at the track to hold your hand.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
28 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Important thing to note is that they are running red plate. I believe I know who they are based off of the user name. Its a track that bites up pretty decent, a very fast red plate turns mid 14s when the track is good (1/5 mile). In the spring, a very competitive JR 1 that I was in the pits with at the Maxxis Mid Atlantic Race at this track (Triple T) was on 60-90cc internal. Can't remember exactly how long since scuff was, around 4-6 weeks I believe.Since then the surface has been redone and seems to possibly have a little more bite. It's hard for me to tell, our kid kart was sticking well at the last race we were there with 60cc internal in 4.50s and wiping with GK1 blue. Of course it doesn't take much to stick a kid kart to the track, nor is my son consistent enough to even tell if what we change works or not.

Last edited:
There are plenty of people willing to help a new guy around here.

If you are indeed running Red Plate, they most often prefer more worn out tires. Just simply due to lack of HP not needing a ton of bite.

Also, you can get used tires for pennies on the dollar compared to new. Which will be more than adequate to build up a drivers confidence and provide seat time to make a consistent driver.

I agree with some of the above statements. You can buy new tires but you are just wasting money. New tires will most likely be slower due to the fact they have more rubber. Kids in Red plate are in the learning stages so just having a decent set of tires with good bite will make the speed and give your little driver the confidence to hold it wide open.

I'm not sure where you guys are located in NC, but I'm just north of Charlotte. I've got a ton of used Maxxis tires that would work fine for red plate or someone starting out in Jr classes and needs seat time. All are stored indoors and no more than 1 yr old. If u want them you are welcome to them for free, just need to come get them. Just trying to help, had someone do the same for us when we were first starting out.

I'm not sure where you guys are located in NC, but I'm just north of Charlotte. I've got a ton of used Maxxis tires that would work fine for red plate or someone starting out in Jr classes and needs seat time. All are stored indoors and no more than 1 yr old. If u want them you are welcome to them for free, just need to come get them. Just trying to help, had someone do the same for us when we were first starting out.

That's so cool of you to help a fellow racer out.

Very cool gesture and very good for the Sport.
Thank you for stepping up !!

Even better than some take-offs, someone willing to help these folks speed up their learning curve.
Awesome gesture, pick.

Britt, I'm guessing it's be worth a little gas money and spend an afternoon with this gentleman.
All the best.

Back