Questions to ask first time at a track?

boxodreams

I used to do a lot of indoor karting around 5 years ago, and i become one of the top drivers, so while I did get a lot of seat time I didn't get any experience in kart setup since they were owned by the facility.

Getting back into karting though I want to get into dirt oval to eventually move into (super) speedway racing, the closest track to me is Millbridge which is like 40 minutes away from me, which isn't ideal but I haven't found a track closer to Harrisburg, NC, which is my area. I'm hoping to head to the track sometime soon to ask questions and get information from teams and because of the distance id like to make the most of my visit.

What are some important questions or questions that aren't so obvious that'd be useful for me in re-starting racing?

Gear ratio wont matter until you know what class you would like to race at Millbridge. You looking into the flat karts there or the wing karts, the clone motors or Predator? Lots of the NASCAR stars kids race there, and its a fast paced ran show, just go and enjoy, questions will come naturally once you figure out what class you may be interested in.

VLK is in Charlotte....The Pit is in Mooresville. If I were you, I'd decide if I wanted to do dirt oval or asphalt road course. Then, depending on the answer, go to GoPro Motorplex (asphalt road course) or Millbridge Speedway / Mountain Creek Speedway / Woodleaf Speedway and see what the entry level and popular classes are and decide what fits your goals and infrastructure. If you live in an apt. with no garage, don't expect to be prepping tires indoors.... Racing can be done at various levels, with various goals. I'd pick what best fits your financial resources and available space.

It might be worth a visit to each track you would consider running and see where you think you would be most comfortable. Ask lots of questions while you're there.

Back