R/F camber

My question is.. what has more effect? Camber thrust increasing the tires turning force when camber is raised, Or more contact patch on the racing surface increasing the tires turning force when the camber is lowered? And does one have more effect in one part of the corner than the other?
More contact patch less RF camber increases turning force and has more effect on exit.

1° camber, with a 6 1/2 inch spindle arm, raises the end of the arm .122 inches. Is that not significant?
Perpendicular to the ground at the center of the tire contact patch, (where it really matters), with near zero scub radius, how much does the chassis raise, or lower?

We've been over this several times. May need to find something else to bicker about.

Perpendicular to the ground at the center of the tire contact patch, (where it really matters), with near zero scub radius, how much does the chassis raise, or lower?

We've been over this several times. May need to find something else to bicker about.
That's what you're calling our discussions now, "bickering"!! That has, in my mind, a very negative connotation!!

Overlay, showing 1° camber increase. I changed the point of the pivot for the angle, thus the difference in distance. one deg. camber.jpg

Speaking of scrub radius, if my understanding of Wikipedia's description is correct, because of the relatively huge amounts of caster we use on karts, our tires do not pivot around that point on the ground that Wikipedia describes. Am I not seeing this clearly?

That point that Wikipedia describes as a tire rotation relationship is in front of the tire with only 12° caster, as in the picture. Wikipedia's illustration is with no caster.
one deg. camber 2.jpg

Speaking of scrub radius, if my understanding of Wikipedia's description is correct, because of the relatively huge amounts of caster we use on karts, our tires do not pivot around that point on the ground that Wikipedia describes. Am I not seeing this clearly?

That point that Wikipedia describes as a tire rotation relationship is in front of the tire with only 12° caster, as in the picture. Wikipedia's illustration is with no caster.
View attachment 11326
Regardless of how you read the definition, there are 2 things that are undeniable.
To steer, the spindle/ tire assembly must pivot around the kingpin axis.
To steer, the tire must change it's position on the ground. That position change must be relative to the contact patch to have any effect on the chassis.

If drawn in 3D, I think you will find that the position will change slightly in the fore/aft direction, but very little in the vertical direction.

A guy with 3D CAD skills and an abundance of free time would be able to map that out.

Here is the definition, copied directly from wikipedia.

The scrub radius is the distance in front view between the king pin axis and the center of the contact patch of the wheel, where both would theoretically touch the road. It could be positive, negative or zero.

Front view is where you are having your problem by adding third dimension to a two dimension definition.

Please explain how you can tell caster in a front view?

Last edited:
Al you use the love emoji so often I thought i'd google on it.
How many of what I found below applies to you?
Or are you using love in some insulting way?

Love means saying goodbye to expectations.
Love doesn’t play the victim role or blame others.
Love includes letting go.
Love doesn’t require you to continue a relationship.
Love requires attention.
Love makes you feel good
Love has empathy

Back