Race day process and gearing question

Blakec9

Hi guys, I am new to the UAS and Kart stuff and have a couple questions. My first question is how to figure out gearing with a deleted trans setup. I am going to be running a 2019 Deuce - CRF 450R with Westerfield 2.036 belt drive kit. I am looking for what I have to do to figure out the final gear ratio.... My second question is about your race day process to get your setup adjustments down. I am new to the tire prep game and I guess this is mostly towards tires. Do you prep your tires before you go out for hot laps or do you go out on unprepped tires to see what the kart needs? Example: Hot laps no prep, figure out what the kart is doing and decide if this can be fixed with prep or Chassis adjustments. Or are you looking at the track conditions and prepping the tires even before hot laps.

Gearing overall , without a starting point . Too high is better then to low .
Power shouldn't be an issue so you have some leeway .
I don't remember ever going out without wiping something on , even if it was just hotlap2 .

Hi guys, I am new to the UAS and Kart stuff and have a couple questions. My first question is how to figure out gearing with a deleted trans setup. I am going to be running a 2019 Deuce - CRF 450R with Westerfield 2.036 belt drive kit. I am looking for what I have to do to figure out the final gear ratio.... My second question is about your race day process to get your setup adjustments down. I am new to the tire prep game and I guess this is mostly towards tires. Do you prep your tires before you go out for hot laps or do you go out on unprepped tires to see what the kart needs? Example: Hot laps no prep, figure out what the kart is doing and decide if this can be fixed with prep or Chassis adjustments. Or are you looking at the track conditions and prepping the tires even before hot laps.
As far as the tire part, most guy's prep for anticipated race conditions.

Prep is a track by track deal. Here in Florida we pre-prep everything. On top of that the track usually doesn't come in till after the second practice session depending on kart count and several other factors. So you really won't get much info you can use in first practice as far as tires are concerned. Ask the local guys what they use and good luck! What track are you running at?

Last edited:
In I have some experience as a flagman at the San Jose dirt track. It's my experience that the track doesn't come in until maybe the first or 2nd heat. Prepping for the first two practice session, in my opinion, is a waste of time and prep. Seems to me you don't learn anything until maybe the first heat. Evaluate after that.

I will be running mostly Ohio tracks. I have been out of kart racing for many many years and just getting back into it this coming season. I have been told by some guys that they do their regular weekday prep stuff but don't wipe anything on the tires at the track until after hot laps. I was under the impression that this was because they wanted to know what the kart was actually doing and not cover up the handling issues with the prep they wiped on before hot laps. As for track conditions I am not sure because I have not been to the tracks lately that I may run. I plan on having 2 sets of Burris 33s and 2 sets of Vega Yellows. Trying to keep it simple on tires and don't want a bunch of different ones to start out with. So I would like to get good and familiar with Vega and Burris and go from there. I am running a UAS kart and this class is totally new to me. I have been racing most my life just have been in big cars the past 20 years. We didn't mess with any prepping of tires so I'm pretty much out to lunch with knowing what to do..... I'm trying to gather as much info as I can from everyone and go from there! I really appreciate all the feedback and hope to hear more of what people will share. Thanks

I just cut my trans off this week. It was nice just shifting but it is Winter had to do something. 33 on a 450 will need prep at the track I have never had to much grip with my 450 . I prep my tires much more aggressive then with my clone

I will be running mostly Ohio tracks. I have been out of kart racing for many many years and just getting back into it this coming season. I have been told by some guys that they do their regular weekday prep stuff but don't wipe anything on the tires at the track until after hot laps. I was under the impression that this was because they wanted to know what the kart was actually doing and not cover up the handling issues with the prep they wiped on before hot laps. As for track conditions I am not sure because I have not been to the tracks lately that I may run. I plan on having 2 sets of Burris 33s and 2 sets of Vega Yellows. Trying to keep it simple on tires and don't want a bunch of different ones to start out with. So I would like to get good and familiar with Vega and Burris and go from there. I am running a UAS kart and this class is totally new to me. I have been racing most my life just have been in big cars the past 20 years. We didn't mess with any prepping of tires so I'm pretty much out to lunch with knowing what to do..... I'm trying to gather as much info as I can from everyone and go from there! I really appreciate all the feedback and hope to hear more of what people will share. Thanks
We used something called "Kruck" on yellow Vegas when we ran the UAS Grand Nationals at Wheelersburg, Ohio. Track had no bite until we found some of that stuff.

Krug and is in Krug green? I will be running on a 2019 Deuce and have been told these karts need a lot of bite built into the tires compared to other karts. I know there is a lot of opinions on this chassis but I already have it and don't plan on switching anytime soon. I have read that the chassis is extremely fast if you get the tires right but there is just a really small window to do that. Any suggestions on what exactly they mean by adding bite to the tires? What type of readings can you take to determine how much bite you added in the tires? My impression is that they don't want the tires softer but just adding bite. Thanks for all the input!!!

Krug and is in Krug green? I will be running on a 2019 Deuce and have been told these karts need a lot of bite built into the tires compared to other karts. I know there is a lot of opinions on this chassis but I already have it and don't plan on switching anytime soon. I have read that the chassis is extremely fast if you get the tires right but there is just a really small window to do that. Any suggestions on what exactly they mean by adding bite to the tires? What type of readings can you take to determine how much bite you added in the tires? My impression is that they don't want the tires softer but just adding bite. Thanks for all the input!!!
Some Black Sand during the week would be 1 way, Also that Deuce does not like nose weight 44.8 % ( Adult Class ) if your over 45 % it better not be much, So Co tire treatments has a prep call BITE in a can I'd check into, Carlson Motorsports has a prep called Monster BITE, and there are others.

Good Luck !!

Forget everything the tire experts say the 450 has to much power. You can't put it to the ground. On a stocker you can get locked down. Not going to happen on a 450 can you get to soft maybe. Don't over think it have fun. I do like to practice with out prep to see if the kart is turning mostly from a stagger stand point.

Back