Race gas vs methenol

Sparky812

Has anyone tested the 2 i currently run a open predator on methenol but am thinking about switching it to gas any info would be appreciated

Unless your playing with oxygenated fuels your gonna have a hard time matching the dollar/per horsepower of meth.

Methanol adds about 20% power compared to gas, but requires approx. 2x the flow rate... It also has the advantage of burning cooler and retards detonation... I can't think of any reason other than simplicity or mileage to run any normal gasoline. High octane gas doesn't add power, it reduces risk of knocking (detonation). In fact, the 87-88 RON with a quicker burn may produce more power. More octane is an indication of longe hydrocarbon chains (octane, nonane, decane, septane, etc.) in the fuel, and longer chains take more time to break down and burn than the shorter chains, thereby resisting pressure-based detonation.... So race gas, unless it has more additives, only "adds power" because it allows the racer to run a higher compression ratio than stock without pinging... 100LL avgas from your local airport may be the ticket, at the expense of your (and your competitor's) health.

All else being equal, Alky produces about 10% more power. But with Alky, which has a much higher octane rating, you can run more compression, and maybe a little more timing advance. Alki may keep all the surfaces it touches a little cooler, but you make horsepower by producing more heat, thus expanding the gases in the combustion chamber faster. That's what makes the extra HP.

As stated above, dollar for dollar methanol is the best fuel for sure. The only gas I have seen make power close to methanol is VP Q16, and its VERY expensive.

Alcohol smells way better and that right there should be the kicker if you're leaning on the fence lol :D

But in all seriousness I run alky on my build and love it. Jimbo makes an awesome ready to install carb built and jetted for alcohol that he can get your way. Only thing you'll need is the adapter for it (see below link)

https://www.gopowersports.com/manif...T0ILVRkgZsNUq0zRz_pCimgBA6QhPgeMaAhpNEALw_wcB
Caution when using the intake above. When using a Mikuni VM 22 big body (not china ) alignment is critical because the OD of intake opening is the same as the ID of the o ring on carb flange and it's easy to get an air leak . My solution is to eliminate the o ring with JB weld and sand flush with flange and cut my own gasket allowing movement between carb and manifold without air leaks. As for the china '' 22 mikuni '' they are not worth the trouble.

Caution when using the intake above. When using a Mikuni VM 22 big body (not china ) alignment is critical because the OD of intake opening is the same as the ID of the o ring on carb flange and it's easy to get an air leak . My solution is to eliminate the o ring with JB weld and sand flush with flange and cut my own gasket allowing movement between carb and manifold without air leaks. As for the china '' 22 mikuni '' they are not worth the trouble.

Good catch and yes it can be a little bit of work to get it just perfect. You WILL need some sort of adapter no matter what you're going with, as the mounting holes on the carb don't align or match the spacing on the motor. Which ever one you choose make sure the carb side of the adapter has adjustable slots for the bolts as leveling the carb is a big ticket item.
Again good catch combative on the seal!

Good catch and yes it can be a little bit of work to get it just perfect. You WILL need some sort of adapter no matter what you're going with, as the mounting holes on the carb don't align or match the spacing on the motor. Which ever one you choose make sure the carb side of the adapter has adjustable slots for the bolts as leveling the carb is a big ticket item.
Again good catch combative on the seal!
Still not cheap but the best price i've found is on (you guessed it ) Amazon $63.56.

Back