race receivers

abbyfireman03

why are not all tracks and series not requiring the use of such a safety product as the race receivers the cost is less than tires or a tack or many other thing we buy but we will not spend $100 for such a safety product . tracks what are you waiting for some one to get hurt or what make them a must some racers will not want to buy them but they are the ones that it there child gets hurt they will be the 1st to wish they had them and if more tracks made it a rule everyone will have to get them just my thinking about safety

We bought 2 of them two years ago, (required for the Mid atlantic series and maxxis national in 2012) haven't used them since.

They are mandatory at all the tracks around here. I don't know about the safety thing but it sure helps speed up the races. When there is a yellow the scorer is lining up the field before they make one lap. They also communicate directly with individual racers telling them to knock off ruff driving, get out of the way of leaders, and other reasons.

Like the dude said, "they are pretty inexpensive and a benefit".

Dk

Both speeding up the program and especially safety are not a function of the Raceiver, but of the track official(s) on the other end. Do they perform a useful function? Sometimes - it depends on who is on the transmitting end. All to often it is just another garbage in/garbage out circuit, which makes it a real pleasure when you encounter a track team that knows how to use them. I use a scanner at many local tracks, to "listen over the back fence", and many kart tracks have a long way to go to get in the same league as the tracks running full sized cars. And even after all these years, not all the big car tracks have figured it out either.

And what about the racers who might have a hearing problem or impairment? If they were mandatory, how is that racer supposed to hear what is being said thru his receiver? Is he supposed to just quit racing or not race since he can't hear it? Alot of people dont realize it but I have this problem and have since I was a kid, but I still race. Its easier to pay attention to the track official when they are doing their job. The receivers aren't needed in karts except maybe kids classes. Adults should have absolutely no excuse for holding up a race because one or 2 racers can't take their place in line where they belong, but instead try to move up one or more spots during caution. Its one of those things that just annoys me honestly, yet you see it from racers at big races who are supposed to be "professionals" in this sport also. Thats just another form of cheating in my opinion, yet you blatantly see it all the time, they don't get black flagged for it so there is no reason for them not to try it, right?

I understand the positives as far as potential safety aspects and potential for speedier lineups, but I feel it would actually impede the progress of younger drivers who start out with someone constantly in their ear. These younger drivers especially need to develop a sense of everything that is going on around them, and I feel that parents, crew chiefs, and track management can all do a better job of preparing a field for what to expect during a race. Part of that is not making idle threats of utilizing a black flag while in drivers' meetings, then letting races turn into spin-fests by the end of the evening. My opinion is that drivers can learn better when left to their own senses instead of giving them crutches for our (and their) convenience.

Back