raceiver/walky talky

Ratistiss

Can anyone recommend a walky talky that works well with a raceiver. We would like to play spotter when my son is at arrive and drive places.

Needs to be able to function on 450-470 mghz range. Most race tracks broadcast on 454.000.

There is a licensing requirement to transmit. Anyone can receive.

I saw an ad recently I believe in SC with a guy trying to sell a bunch of spotting radios for pretty cheap. I'll look for it.

Can anyone recommend a walky talky that works well with a raceiver. We would like to play spotter when my son is at arrive and drive places.
If you are running dirt ovals, just a heads up (especially if your going to a track for the first time) it is definitely frowned upon to spot for your driver

Yes, there is a big difference between an arrive and drive and a track. At the tracks we race I would not bother trying to spot becuase of the safety aspect. Arrive and drive usually has alot of guppies and often very few experienced racers.

Its more important to have your driver calm, confident, and focused before he pulls on the track than panic him on a track where he is turning 12 second laps. That should be your focus.

I would never do it when my son is racing his own kart competitively, but he and I would both love to do that when we go to the indoor arrive and drive place. I know we ran in to a father/ daughter one day and they were using bluetooth headphones and a cell phone. But for the life of me, I cannot remember their set-up. It was so simple.

Probably link the two phones .
spotter calls driver before leaving grid . Once the other phone is connected . Just talk like normal.

Probably link the two phones .
spotter calls driver before leaving grid . Once the other phone is connected . Just talk like normal.
This system would have a significant delay. Radio would be better, but also more expensive. I know Racing Electronics is kind of the name brand for this sorta stuff officially, but for your uses you could definitely save some money on non racing specific radios.

Pick up a cheap BeoFeng (sp?) radio from ebay or amazon. They work tremendously well with the Raceceiver headset to coach your driver. I have used this set-up personally and can attest to it working very well. Now, you will need to have the Raceceiver turned to max volume because you will be trying to talk over the noise of the engine at full throttle most of the time. That cheap little radio was very impressive and accomplished exactly what I wanted as a driver coach many times.
No, this is NOT for use during competition for obvious reasons.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Quick question? Why is it so frowned upon to have a spotter in karting? And why is it any different in nascar or anything else that allows it? Seem to me that if the big cars didn't use them a lot more yellow flags would be thrown and quite possibly more serious injuries.

Yeah, so dirt track racing is NO SPOTTER... reason people get bent out of shape about it is because you can tell your driver...guy is coming up behind you, block the guy , So my track just started doin' race receivers, flagstand can talk to you, yellow's red's etc... but you can't talk back to them... Get you a Nitro Bee radio, cheap on Amazon

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick question? Why is it so frowned upon to have a spotter in karting? And why is it any different in nascar or anything else that allows it? Seem to me that if the big cars didn't use them a lot more yellow flags would be thrown and quite possibly more serious injuries.
No two way radio's in dirt track racing. Race director can advise cautions as needed with the raceiver and that covers the safety aspect.

Back