raceseng bolt kit or burris stud kit?

JRW31526

title says it, which one would be better for a hi comp build? 18cc head milled .080 piston ~.006-.007 in the hole .45 fire ring hg

Studs hands down; you are pulling on the stud not the threads in the block; much better clamping force and torque load

In all honesty just go to your local auto parts store and pick up some exhaust/engine studs for half the price.
Then while you are there, you can get the side cover and valve cover studs and be done with it. Still cheaper than either set you are asking about!

Have the burris studs in my hemi predator...also used a cometic fire ring, and piston is only .002 in the hole... no issues with either..and dont plan on switching anytime soon either..

In all honesty just go to your local auto parts store and pick up some exhaust/engine studs for half the price.
Then while you are there, you can get the side cover and valve cover studs and be done with it. Still cheaper than either set you are asking about!
Hey Yak....can I chuckle a tad? Your in Canada...ie; Metric. We're in the US of A! Buy the time 'one' wud run around looking for 'metric' studs in the average parts store, multible 'Stud Kits' could be 'delivered' tooro ones door! The 'kicker' wud be, if one were too know....studs from a parts store wud probably be...."Made in China"! :):)

"FUNNY" thing 'happened' Sunday (Barry Y...Mikey56) listen up! Fresh Predator build based on New old-style 69120 block and crank, ARC Rod, CL1-I Cam, "Mikey" supplied 'Hemi' Piston, Barry Young Cyl Head, Side Cover and Cyl Head Stud Kits...etc etc (picture painted...right?) Ran/tested the motor on sprint track abt a month ago with good results and 7100 max rpm and 'Good' power! I'm :) cuz customer is :) etc! Last Sunday, customer excitedly mounts the motor onto his Dirt kart and heads too the local Bull-Ring (I knew nothing). After a couple of minor issues (I cud have prevented had I been there) he was off and running 'well' against his buddies when he 'senced' something 'strange' in the second session. So, his Buddy (hot dog) hops on the kart and puts the hammer down for abt 7-8 laps when (as I was told) a cloud of smoke erupted and the driver (naturally) throttled back and proceeded too drive the kart nearly a complete lap and back into the pit area AND shut the engine off via the kill switch....well, of course. (moving-one) I got 'the call' yesterday abt noon hearing "We have a problem!" (Not expecting anything of the sort) I immediately head towards the 'john' thinking what did I screw up now(?) Today he brings the motor to the shop in a tote and I told him that b4 I open the box I want too let him know that he has my blessing as too finding another engine builder etc etc! (I really like this customer...btw) We proceed too open the box and I was Not prepared too view the remains of what I saw in that the upper cylinder portion of the block was TOTALLY separated from the crankcase. At the same time is when he told me that Scott (the driver) drove it in that way and actually shut the motor off! Hearing 'that' was somewhat of a major relief and I commenced with post-mortem exam by checking out Barry's cyl hd....(thats a relief)...'good-2go'! Then, popped the ARC Flywheel and the side-cover too find the Rod and Cam in 'prime' state!! Yep Mikey....Piston is A-ok also! Customer is get'n a new Pred from HF tomorrow and I told him he'll have his 'new' bullit for HIS Big Race saturday nite!! My summation/question is (in this case) the 3:00 side cover Stud departed (later found on the track) and I Did Not locite the studs into the block, even though...I Did have the hex nuts 'tightly' safety wired around the 'hex(s)'. The major fact being, these/this castings is of such 'poor' quality as the porosity of the metal at the separation (break) looks more like 'sand' rather than finished product. Had the Stud not fallen out, this may not have happened...Yet! But, buy stuffing the additional compression an rpm into 'this' jewel...that stud was the glue holding this one together. The fact that it was still running is one-for-the-book! We were talking about 'STUDS'....Right?

I have had two break in half..with no bracing (didn't hurt either crank, piston, rod, etc). I use studs in all my modified engines, and retorque them several time on the dyno. They eventually seat in and stay. I do check them pretty often on the kart as well. I'm glad nothing but the block was hurt Hal. (by the was I got that "piece" I will test it for you soon)

Back