Racing with the steering locked

alvin l nunley

Site Supporter
I've been Thinking about i a post that ( read just the other day. The poster told the story about his daughter running a whole race with the steering locked. I had my doubts about it when I first read it, and now I'm convinced, it's just a fabrication. I've never seen a track where you didn't have to turn the wheel, at least some, just to get on track and all, let alone complete a race.

I've been Thinking about i a post that ( read just the other day. The poster told the story about his daughter running a whole race with the steering locked. I had my doubts about it when I first read it, and now I'm convinced, it's just a fabrication. I've never seen a track where you didn't have to turn the wheel, at least some, just to get on track and all, let alone complete a race.
Theory, little girl had the strength to turn the wheel inside the lock clamp/ the clamp wasnt tight enough.

Theory 2, she figured out to stab the brake, throw her weight, and stab the gas to get around the corner

Theory 3, she used everybody else like bowling lane bumpers to get through the corner.

Theory 4, We dont understand physics as well as we thought we did.

Theory 5, its complete bull:ROFLMAO:

The track at Delaware ia . Is straight off the grid onto the straight . Although exiting you have got too make a 120* turn .
Now I can not say this 100% but Austin has had that happen , maybe .
Or till he figured out something was wrong :)
He for sure has said its nice when you don't even have to turn the wheel .
Theory #5 is most likely correct .

Ive been able to turn my kids wheels with the lock pin in. But i have my doubts they would of been able to do the same. I knew as soon as i turned it something was wrong. A kid would be smooth wore out after a couple laps of steering with the pin in if they are able to turn it at all

Ive been able to turn my kids wheels with the lock pin in. But i have my doubts they would of been able to do the same. I knew as soon as i turned it something was wrong. A kid would be smooth wore out after a couple laps of steering with the pin in if they are able to turn it at all
True the clamping force is not that great .
It's not actually unmovable .

Been there, done that, and still managed to make it thru the corners at speed. Came in wondered why it took so much effort to turn the wheel both directions. Luckily it barely needs steering input at this particular track so wasn’t too bad. Burped it into the corner and pretty much turned on it’s own. Now the steering lock comes out right after scaling and doesn’t go back in until it’s time to scale again.

Been there, done that, and still managed to make it thru the corners at speed. Came in wondered why it took so much effort to turn the wheel both directions. Luckily it barely needs steering input at this particular track so wasn’t too bad. Burped it into the corner and pretty much turned on it’s own. Now the steering lock comes out right after scaling and doesn’t go back in until it’s time to scale again.
I leave mine locked until it comes out of the trailer, once out of the trailer I unlock it and it stays that way all night.

If you are referring to my post I can assure you it wasn’t fabricated. I also said in the post when she came in she said it turned really hard. The toe lock pin was in but it wasn’t tightened down to the point where it “wouldn’t turn”. It turned really hard as she said!! It was 5 laps on a 1/8 mile momentum track that doesn’t take a lot of steering when set up correctly. You do need some steering input to get around!! It also wasn’t a complete race. It was 5 practice laps to start the night before racing began. She went out last, passed all other karts on the track in 5 laps and came back in in 1st. She is 11 years old.
If you want her take on it I can get you in touch with her and she can explain it. 😁

we have been on the grid cranked up and going on the track when my son turned to go on the track the lock was in, but the lock dont lock down on the steering shaft where you can't turn it with a little force, done that in the shop several times with the kart on the stand, so Al know what you saying before calling someone out.

we have been on the grid cranked up and going on the track when my son turned to go on the track the lock was in, but the lock dont lock down on the steering shaft where you can't turn it with a little force, done that in the shop several times with the kart on the stand, so Al know what you saying before calling someone out.
Seems I misinterpreted your use of the term "locked down". So the steering is only "restraind" it can still move, it just takes extra effort. I can understand that portion. It does somewhat change my interpretation of the story. Thank you for taking the time to explain to me my misunderstanding. I thought I had a pretty good understanding of what the word "locked" meant. I obviously confused "locked down" with something like, locking your front door.

Seems I misinterpreted your use of the term "locked down". So the steering is only "restraind" it can still move, it just takes extra effort. I can understand that portion. It does somewhat change my interpretation of the story. Thank you for taking the time to explain to me my misunderstanding. I thought I had a pretty good understanding of what the word "locked" meant. I obviously confused "locked down" with something like, locking your front door.
we call it a steering lock but it is really just used to scale the kart and keep the steering wheel strait, but it isn't really LOCKED down to the point where it cant be moved.

Back