Radiator mounting

mtk1977

Been running the typical standup radiator in front of my motors. Not a fan of how they mount with the supplied brackets, was looking to see if anyone is stowing them away by laying them on their sides or putting them on the left side next to the seat etc. pictures for ideas would be appreciated. Not opposed to using a heater core or oil cooler either. Just something that can sit low and out of the way. I have an in-line cap at the top of the motor’s water exit so I’m not worried if I won’t be able to fill the radiator using it’s cap and also plugging the overflow up.

You can remove the radiator from its mounting bracket , unhook coolant hoses or get a automotive coolant vacuum kit

When i mount radiators i usually mount them vertically in front of the engine, but unlike a lot i see i mount them to the engine and not to the kart frame. That way i can pull the entire engine and radiator system without having to pull hoses apart and it just makes for a nicer overall installation in my opinion. I have seen guys use a smaller radiator or oil cooler down low with a duct cut in the side panel to feed it, this setup i believe requires fans to ensure enough flow. Also seen a few guys run them up high on the left side just under the wing.

When i mount radiators i usually mount them vertically in front of the engine, but unlike a lot i see i mount them to the engine and not to the kart frame. That way i can pull the entire engine and radiator system without having to pull hoses apart and it just makes for a nicer overall installation in my opinion. I have seen guys use a smaller radiator or oil cooler down low with a duct cut in the side panel to feed it, this setup i believe requires fans to ensure enough flow. Also seen a few guys run them up high on the left side just under the wing.

I did this on my MX motors using existing bolt holes with champion radiators and the brackets that came with it. It’s the best way to go but my H20 motors now are two cycle kart engines with no way to do it. I’m leaning towards low with a fan, I’ll be running a regular speedway body with wedge panels on the outside. Recently saw a kart like the one attached and that’s what got the wheels turning in my head. LOL

Attachments

• A69F7D18-A803-4B18-87AC-51E08587883E.jpeg
    A69F7D18-A803-4B18-87AC-51E08587883E.jpeg
    56.1 KB · Views: 90
I did this on my MX motors using existing bolt holes with champion radiators and the brackets that came with it. It’s the best way to go but my H20 motors now are two cycle kart engines with no way to do it. I’m leaning towards low with a fan, I’ll be running a regular speedway body with wedge panels on the outside. Recently saw a kart like the one attached and that’s what got the wheels turning in my head. LOL

The 2 cycle engines it is different for sure, but since they are also much smaller than the big 4cycle stuff you have more room to the right of the engine. How i've seen guys do those engines is mounting the radiator to the right of the engine, slightly in front. Not too awful difficult, your lower mount can extend off from the engine mount. The upper mount is slightly more tricky depending on your engine, but is doable. If you look at the Bama 250 that's how they have the radiator mounted on it.

run a fan that is sucking an pulls the air though the rad. ran this set up on a wankel an never had a problem

Attachments

• sept2013 018.JPG
    sept2013 018.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 71
We built our own water pump cover and expansion tank that mounts to the head. They are threaded for fittings. It does make service very nice but weighs more. So there is a tradeoff. You can see both in the pic too

Back