Random question....

spincycle

Does anyone on here know of any instances where when a tire sample was taken by use of a hot grooving iron that the tip/blade of that grooving iron was shown to have tire prep residue on it from grooving PREPPED TIRES previously, therefore causing the tire being sampled to fail the test?

No , but if whomever was taking the sample should have also noted that it was used previously on prepped tires , which should have nullified the sample .

No legit track or tech is going to take a tire sample using a hot grooving iron, that was your RED FLAG!
I've never personally witnessed the process, I guess in my own mind I always pictured it being done with a very sharp knife....🙄 This happened at our local kart track, 4 karts tires were sampled, 3 passed, one didn't, the offender is the one who came up with the contaminated tire grooving iron thing...

IF they used a hot grooving iron, the heat likely cooked off any of the prep that would have been on it previously.
I'm not buying the argument that the prep came from a previous sample.
I would be more suspect of the fingers touching the sample than a red hot cutting blade. :)

Get used to hearing all sorts of excuses...the big car guys have been doing this for a few years now (some with merit, most without.)
I'm really surprised there aren't more lawsuits flying over this whole deal, but in reality that costs money too, so you mostly just hear a bunch of complaining. Any time someone gets dinged in tech, you'll get this; whether it's engine tech or tire tech.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

IF they used a hot grooving iron, the heat likely cooked off any of the prep that would have been on it previously.
I would be more suspect of the fingers touching the sample than a red hot cutting blade. :)

Get used to hearing all sorts of excuses...the big car guys have been doing this for a few years now (some with merit, most without.)
I'm really surprised there aren't more lawsuits flying over this whole deal, but in reality that costs money too, so you mostly just hear a bunch of complaining. Any time someone gets dinged in tech, you'll get this; whether it's engine tech or tire tech.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.c

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Well, the offender, so committed to professing their innocence resorted to threats of violence against the track operator, hence track operator decided to lock the gates to the track, whether or not permanently is in doubt...all because somebody wanted their kid to win a trophy....a very successful track averaging 80-90 karts weekly....🤬

Every large race we done in the latemodel this season a sample was taken of the tires and a grooving iron is used to collect the sample.
No way was prep still on the iron, if the tire failed it was in the sample

In
Every large race we done in the latemodel this season a sample was taken of the tires and a grooving iron is used to collect the sample.
No way was prep still on the iron, if the tire failed it was in the sample
Interesting... so they are using hot grooving irons and not a box knife? I've only seen the box knife used at big races.

In

Interesting... so they are using hot grooving irons and not a box knife? I've only seen the box knife used at big races.
We ran several big races this past season, Bristol, WoO, Lucas, and Valvoline iron man and all the samples they took of our tires and all I watched used a grooving Iron.
No way I'd let them use a box cutter

Track requires grooved Hoosiers, don't think one extra groove would affect anything at all....I'm remembering the first DLM tires I grooved myself, the lines were so uneven and not straight you would have thought I was having a seizure while attempting it...🤣
We groove about 3 sets a week, after awhile it becomes second nature

Our next race in the Super, if I remember I'll video the sample taking
242989457_6346732538701824_6539706381881385088_n.jpg

Well, the offender, so committed to professing their innocence resorted to threats of violence against the track operator, hence track operator decided to lock the gates to the track, whether or not permanently is in doubt...all because somebody wanted their kid to win a trophy....a very successful track averaging 80-90 karts weekly....🤬
That's a shame. "Maybe" the promoter was looking for an "out," I don't know. Seems a little over-reactive and selfish to just lock the gates afer an altercation like this. As a business owner myself, I know it can get pretty discouraging when you have a disgruntled customer, but know that it's just part of the territory. You can't please everyone, all the time, no matter how hard you try. Much grace is required on both sides of the counter.
Promoting a track can be a pretty thank-less job..and no one really "wants" the unnecessary grief.
Hopefully the promoter has some time to reflect on this and consider re-opening with an understanding that dealing with difficult people is difficult, but not impossible. Dealing with the other 99% makes it all worth while.

That's a shame. "Maybe" the promoter was looking for an "out," I don't know. Seems a little over-reactive and selfish to just lock the gates afer an altercation like this. As a business owner myself, I know it can get pretty discouraging when you have a disgruntled customer, but know that it's just part of the territory. You can't please everyone, all the time, no matter how hard you try. Much grace is required on both sides of the counter.
Promoting a track can be a pretty thank-less job..and no one really "wants" the unnecessary grief.
Hopefully the promoter has some time to reflect on this and consider re-opening with an understanding that dealing with difficult people is difficult, but not impossible. Dealing with the other 99% makes it all worth while
What lead to the gates being locked is threats towards track employees and their family members not directly associated with the track...sadly, I've heard of similar incidents at two kart tracks in Iowa, pretty sure one of the two also closed early.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back