Reading tire wear with wear indicators

Cakalac

What are some ideas to reading tires with wear indicators that are on the tire. For instance, the three lines on the shoulder of the tire. How do you guys use those lines to determine anything. Can I tell anything about the air pressure being wrong or right by reading those lines? Seems like if the tire has top speed only a few races then those lines could be used to tell me things about the performance or set up of my kart.

My idea is when them lines are gone it's about done.
At least time to flip .

Yes, that has been my thoughts to. However if the tire is new or a few races....do you use the lines to tell you anything. So if it's new and you go out for your first race of the night and you get on one line or two lines, does it tell you anything like you were too low on air or too soft a sidewall for the conditions? That's what I'm trying to understand is if guys use them for tuning of the kart.

Example: I go out and its a new tire. I race my first feature, come in and I rolled over on the second line. Does that tell me I was too low on air for the conditions? Could it tell me I'm on too soft sidewall and need less internal? It may not be used for anything other than when to replace the tire, but seems there are many other factors involved in a tire being used up then only line wear.

I'm nowhere near the best tire guy.
I don't believe the 3 lines are much use for tuning.
Now if you go out with new tires and run 8-10 laps come in there all gone an adjustment might be benifical.

Back