Reading Track/Tire Choice

J_618

I have been racing a 1/8 mile backyard track lately and i am wanting some advice on tire choice as well as duro. running small block open. Some nights the track is soft to where when you walk on it the dirt under our feet feels spongy. and then there are times to where you cant get your fingernail in the track at all it gets so dry and hard. I have some yellow vega's as well as some burris tires. Any advice on when to run what tire and what duro i should shoot for on both track conditions. I work tires throughout the week so they have plenty of bite. just need some help with tire selection. Thanks!

Given those choices (and not knowing whats been done to them) I would say run the Vegas on the softer track and Burris with bite wiped on them for the hard track. How hard do the tires punch?

Given those choices (and not knowing whats been done to them) I would say run the Vegas on the softer track and Burris with bite wiped on them for the hard track. How hard do the tires punch?
my vegas are 35-40 wiped with a weekly and then a fire off prep at track. burris punching 55 same prep weekly and then fire off at track. I guess im wondering if i stay with the vegas on a hard dry slick track or do i switch to a harder tire on the dry/dusty slick. Are Vegas always the best choice?

Last edited:
I'd only be on the vegas when soft track, when hard dry ( especially if there's any abrasive material in the make up of the track ) I'd be trying the 33s and I would NOT wipe them with prep until I tested the waters with them.

I'd only be on the vegas when soft track, when hard dry ( especially if there's any abrasive material in the make up of the track ) I'd be trying the 33s and I would NOT wipe them with prep until I tested the waters with them.
not prep at all? all of my tires are used and have been prepped already.

my vegas are 35-40 wiped with a weekly and then a fire off prep at track. burris punching 55 same prep weekly and then fire off at track. I guess im wondering if i stay with the vegas on a hard dry slick track or do i switch to a harder tire on the dry/dusty slick. Are Vegas always the best choice?

Given those choices (and not knowing whats been done to them) I would say run the Vegas on the softer track and Burris with bite wiped on them for the hard track. How hard do the tires punch

The problem with prepping, just because, is that if you dont know how these tires work, what theyre made of, what theyre made for, you could have already ruined them. Quit prepping the Burris, let them lay outside for a week or two to harden up. Then wipe bite on them and use them on the track when its dry. Forget the soft duro numbers, you already have a set of Vegas. The Vegas are soft right out of the wrapper and yes can take some prep but only if the track is on the wet side. Find a tire prep dealer who can answer your questions and stick with him. We see a huge number of guys wiping solely because they think softer is better, It isnt always true.

Then on the Burris 33s wipe 2 coats of bite ( hard track ) on the Monday before you race, do not wipe at the track.
But I'd be buying a new set of 2022s getting them cut and be trying them with NO PREP
For when track is hard and dry.

With your Vegas already that soft, you'd better save them for the soft moist tracks.
Use the 33s on the hard dry track, but you likely won't need to soften them, just keep adding bite (as needed.)

Not all bite preps soften tires. Softness and bite are two separate things (that often people get confused.)
Softer does not necessarily mean more bite, and more bite doesn't necessarily mean softer.
You can build a ton of bite in a Burris punching 55 if that's what the track calls for.

Then again, a harder set of Yellows might be better suited for the hard dry track if the track does not bite up at all. Backyard tracks typically don't bite up from my experience. A Yellow right out of the wrapper will punch 46-50d depending on how fresh it is. Some light internal and a light pre-race wipe to get it to fire and that may well be the ticket.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I have been racing a 1/8 mile backyard track lately and i am wanting some advice on tire choice as well as duro. running small block open. Some nights the track is soft to where when you walk on it the dirt under our feet feels spongy. and then there are times to where you cant get your fingernail in the track at all it gets so dry and hard. I have some yellow vega's as well as some burris tires. Any advice on when to run what tire and what duro i should shoot for on both track conditions. I work tires throughout the week so they have plenty of bite. just need some help with tire selection. Thanks!
I'd run the Vegas and just PRW differently, spongy indicates it's a newer track with a soft base even if it does dry out sometimes

I wouldn’t be running Burris on the hard track in an SBO class. Can you buy some Maxxis? I’ve seen some fellas have good results combining Yellow Vegas and the new White Maxxis.

I wouldn’t be running Burris on the hard track in an SBO class. Can you buy some Maxxis? I’ve seen some fellas have good results combining Yellow Vegas and the new White Maxxis.
I can, just dont want to run the maxxis and only be good for a week or two. Im thinking maybe get me a fresh set of vegas and trying those out for when the track gets hard.

I could be wrong (and often am,) but I have never seen a backyard track bite up hard...hard enough to need a Maxxis without absolutely killing it with aggressive prep.
I am thinking you would surely be better off on Vegas, especially if it's low/no bite.

Back