Reaper tires

I used my belt sander and took the shine off of them the best I could. I talked to Brian C. He suggested to use Monster Bite. Said I could use Black Sand and Acrysol at a 50/50 mix during the week. Wonder if hurts to use Black Sand at home and use a little Monster Bite at the track or should I just stick to straight Monster Bite. I don't know

I used my belt sander and took the shine off of them the best I could. I talked to Brian C. He suggested to use Monster Bite. Said I could use Black Sand and Acrysol at a 50/50 mix during the week. Wonder if hurts to use Black Sand at home and use a little Monster Bite at the track or should I just stick to straight Monster Bite. I don't know
It's fine to use the Black sand but ONLY at home wipe it a week out and let it cure, then if you need more bite in the tires wipe the monster bite at the track, your problem you had was the tires were not prepped up enough the dirt caked on the tires because when you went out the black sand mix was to wet on the tires.

It's fine to use the Black sand but ONLY at home wipe it a week out and let it cure, then if you need more bite in the tires wipe the monster bite at the track, your problem you had was the tires were not prepped up enough the dirt caked on the tires because when you went out the black sand mix was to wet on the tires.
Agreed. I'm not a fan of using Black Sand at the track. I feel that Black Sand works best when allowed to cure into the tire. I know the folks at Trac Tac (and some racers) claim to cut it 50/50 with acrysol and use it as a PRW, but I've just not found that to work well (imho.) It's a good prep, but I'd use it as Ken suggested above or 10-14 days out.
I would agree that the track stuck to your tires rather than your tires sticking to the track due to the Black Sand used trackside and wet on the grid.
If the track is dusty, you don't want Monster Bite wet on the grid either. Monster Bite must be dry (or at least tacked up) on the grid to work best on a dry track. It will only work wet on the grid if the track has plenty of moisture in it.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Your tires were definitely too hard. Hard tires can be disguised as a push. Like racing promotor said the dirt sticking is a dead give away. We have been running these tires a couple years here in the Carolina’s.

For what you are describing I’d wipe a medium style prep (lambert, GK1,) or even Hi-tech purple during the week a couple times. Then wipe black sand and acrysol 50/50 at the track…it works just fine as a PRW. If that is not aggressive enough mix your medium prep with the BS. I’d also start on lower air around 5.5/5.

Last edited:
Agreed. I'm not a fan of using Black Sand at the track. I feel that Black Sand works best when allowed to cure into the tire. I know the folks at Trac Tac (and some racers) claim to cut it 50/50 with acrysol and use it as a PRW, but I've just not found that to work well (imho.) It's a good prep, but I'd use it as Ken suggested above or 10-14 days out.
I would agree that the track stuck to your tires rather than your tires sticking to the track due to the Black Sand used trackside and wet on the grid.
If the track is dusty, you don't want Monster Bite wet on the grid either. Monster Bite must be dry (or at least tacked up) on the grid to work best on a dry track. It will only work wet on the grid if the track has plenty of moisture in it.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.youtube.com
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
I Agree on both wiping the black sand at home 14 days before next race, and should have added If you use the Monster Bite let it dry before going to the grid, there will be a lot fewer times where you would wipe it wet on the grid, and of course you can wipe other preps at home as well during the week, I suggested the Black Sand because you have it why not use it up because applying at home will work.
Good Luck !!

Your tires were definitely too hard. Hard tires can be disguised as a push. Like racing promotor said the dirt sticking is a dead give away. We have been running these tires a couple years here in the Carolina’s.

For what you are describing I’d wipe a medium style prep (lambert, GK1,) or even Hi-tech purple during the week a couple times. Then wipe black sand and acrysol 50/50 at the track…it works just fine as a PRW. If that is not aggressive enough mix your medium prep with the BS. I’d also start on lower air around 5.5/5.
I agree a medium base prep seems to work best on Reapers we've found LS 2 and TS 2 to work best here in central Pa , The rest of the suggestion here I've seen this work BUT I'm like Brian I've tried it and can't get the same results.

I agree a medium base prep seems to work best on Reapers we've found LS 2 and TS 2 to work best here in central Pa , The rest of the suggestion here I've seen this work BUT I'm like Brian I've tried it and can't get the same results.
If y’all can’t get it to work no one can. I’m just a blind squirrel that gets a nut occasionally.

We are racing this weekend. They decided to race. I am going to try the Black Sand and Acrysol 50/50 mix and the house and the monster bite at the track. At home should I just wipe it once a day? Does the Monster Bite dry fairly quick? It is going to be 80 degrees Saturday. Hiking before you go on the track s b old you wipe it?

Depending on how many coats of BS/Acrysol you already have in it, I'd put at least 3 coats on as early as you can to give it plenty of cure time.
Yes, our Monster Bite will dry quickly (depending on how loaded up the tires are with prep currently.)
If the track is dry, then Monster should be dry (or at least tacky to the touch.) If the track has moisture in it, then Monster can be wet on the grid.
If Monster is still wet on the grid and you need it dry, you can either warm it with a heat gun, or blot it dry with paper towel.

I stated that I mixed Black Sand and Acetone. I can find Acrysol anywhere in town. I figured the Acetone was what made the dirt stick to the tire
I am going to wipe a light coat of Black Sand today and tomorrow and just use a little Monster Bite at the track.

I stated that I mixed Black Sand and Acetone. I can find Acrysol anywhere in town. I figured the Acetone was what made the dirt stick to the tire
I am going to wipe a light coat of Black Sand today and tomorrow and just use a little Monster Bite at the track.
Acetone and Acrysol are very different. Acetone is an aggressive softener and breaks the rubber (plastic in this case) down.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.youtube.com
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
I would say for hot laps and the heat the track will be dry. As the sun goes down straight between 1 and 2 will get shade first. They will water it at intermission for sure. The dust will probably be gone. I will most likely need it dried on the tires it sounds like.

I would say for hot laps and the heat the track will be dry. As the sun goes down straight between 1 and 2 will get shade first. They will water it at intermission for sure. The dust will probably be gone. I will most likely need it dried on the tires it sounds like.
Yes. Make sure it is dry in the tires.

Back