Rear Axle Bearing Installation = which way?

crankincraig

Might be a dumb question but what way do you install the rear axle bearings ? With the extended side that has the set screw holes facing in board or outboard? I was helping a friend with a kart he picked up and when he went to replace the rear bearings we noticed that the bearings were installed both ways , one facing in and the other facing out. Does it matter?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks XXX.

Is there a logical reason as to why they are opposite. Not doubting you but just curious.
I am stopping there after work so have to see what side was where.

Now I am really wondering how mine are set-up.

Thanks XXX.

Is there a logical reason as to why they are opposite. Not doubting you but just curious.
I am stopping there after work so have to see what side was where.

Now I am really wondering how mine are set-up.

RS could interfere with the RS hub, LS could interfere with the brake system

We run the RS hub so far in, and if you dont have a double clamping RR hub, most will use a lock collar behind the hub to keep it from getting against the frame

both of mine are in, no issues with brake system, enough room to get a lock collar between brake hub and bearing

We run the RS hub so far in, and if you dont have a double clamping RR hub, most will use a lock collar behind the hub to keep it from getting against the frame

I have a double clamping hub and a collar on the right side. Had a hub split where one of the clamping bolts go through and it pushed itself in until the rim was up against the frame. Installed a new hub and backed it up with a collar just in case.

I'm pretty sure there is no difference operational wise. There may be some reason concerning clearance of other parts, but other than that, whichever way you like.

It really don't matter which way they face, they aren't gonna spin more freely one way or the other so just set them however you need to set them to have clearance from the rotor and hubs. Simple as that really, keep them clean and lubed up and they should last a long time

Using removable bearing shields could change the way they are installed so you have easier access to removing them

Back