Rear Axle

I bought a used arrow kart, 2011 X2, it has a medium 50mm axle on it that I have been using since I bought it. People have been telling me to get a 40mm soft axle. What are you guys opinions on this. What mnfg would you recommend? Do you think soft or super soft axle?

The euros went to 50mm to get more flex without the problems of a soft 40mm. Is your track really rubbered up or are you having trouble freeing the back tires? My advise, don't listen to your competitors too much, stay on the 50mm.

I am with sundog on this. In fact I switched my 2011 X2 Arrow from a medium to a hard axle and clipped a bit of time off each lap. I also straighten axles for racers that lost their race when they bent a soft axle. Keep your 50mm and get a soft and hard axle then test all three.

I didn't notice it before but you said switch from 50mm to 40mm. Don't bother changing sizes, just switch stiffness.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I will try and stay with the 50mm axle. Last month was my first race and the guy that won was driving the new tony kart 4 cycle chassis with a 50mm axle. This weekend will be my second race. I think one of my issues now is chassis setup. I just don't have the knowledge that you guys and other racers have.

Good choice . Run what you have till you have it dialed in and your driving is spot on . Tires would be money better spent .

When I ran 206 with my Margay I always ran a shorter axle width. Most of the time the axle ends would be close to the end of the rims. I could have cut the ends off, but if they never stuck out why bother.

Question is can you slide your rear hubs over the ends of the axle? Some hubs you can and some you can't.

When I ran 206 with my Margay I always ran a shorter axle width. Most of the time the axle ends would be close to the end of the rims. I could have cut the ends off, but if they never stuck out why bother.

Question is can you slide your rear hubs over the ends of the axle? Some hubs you can and some you can't.
I'll have to go check that..thanks for the recommendation.

How much time do you have in the kart? Practice time included? Run a bunch of races until you really understand and feel what the chassis is doing. Then when you change the axle it will show you something>

How much time do you have in the kart? Practice time included? Run a bunch of races until you really understand and feel what the chassis is doing. Then when you change the axle it will show you something>
I bought this kart used in February 2018. I have run 2 races, mostly practice sessions. I need to get a better understanding of the engineering side of things.

Back