Rear Floating Sprocket Hub

Evanpotter11

Is it much quicker and better than the regular standard rear hub? The one I have now is a floating however the holes are somewhat stripped. It is usable for now but is going to need to be replaced before too long. Not sure what route to go. Performance vs Cost.
Thanks,
Evan

Floating hub helps keep the chain on during chassis twist.
A regular hub, 1¼ ball hone and 2 lock collars works just fine

Is it much quicker and better than the regular standard rear hub? The one I have now is a floating however the holes are somewhat stripped. It is usable for now but is going to need to be replaced before too long. Not sure what route to go. Performance vs Cost.
Thanks,
Evan
It's not going to improve your lap times, but they certainly help reduce drag as the chassis twists.

The lock collar method works as well to a certain extent, but its not going to allow the hub to oscillate on the axle like a true floating style will.

I use the PMI 4 Bolt Floating Hub in all of my karts.

That's what the ball hone is for, it not only opens it up, but if you move it right it only the hub to move plenty

A true floating hub will osculate in all directions but the ones that move a little to the left and right does nothing but cause drag just my thoughts

A true floating hub will osculate in all directions but the ones that move a little to the left and right does nothing but cause drag just my thoughts
When I get done the inside of the hub is rounded as is the key, they don't just move left and right.
Doesn't take long to fashion a jig, just like one for honing a rod

I let the clutch float a little bit extra and haven't haven't lost a chain since I started. a 3/4 OD 5/16 washer is cheaper than a floating hub.

Many years ago, we used to float the hub like Jamie is explaining.
We have tried several different floating hubs from different manufacturers and weren't real impressed.
We switched to the Phantom 6 bolt ball bearing swivel hub and never looked back. Pricey but worth it for what you get.
Like anything else, you have to maintain them to keep them working properly.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I discover something one day I was racing my UAS and had an issue with a sprocket hub that went wrong and wouldn't tighten enough. I used to collars to keep it from moving but they still allowed some more movement than the way it was originally designed, and it seemed to work better and has been doing that for years since and never had a chain coming off or breaking so I keep using it on that kart. Infact it is the kart I have had less trouble with chains at all. i do not use this on other karts. Maybe the jackshaft also helps.

Just bought a PMI floating hub and came with 2 lock collars. Do you put these tight or give it a little room to move?

IMO the best floating gear hub is no longer being made. When is someone going to buy the JEX hub name and start making them again ?

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 26
Back