rear sprocket or clutch driver

awwwwwww, a new page and a fresh look at gear ratios. ... :)

Let's be open minded and try a different road.

Can you take the data from one and graph acceleration or the whole kart around the track?

Can you make a run with one gear set, graph it on paper and then do the same with another gear set?

You could then put one paper on top of the other and shine a light through, to see if the graphs are the same. If they are then a ratio is a ratio. If there not, then different gear sets with the same ratio, give different results. It doesn't matter how different they are, what matters is are they "exactly" the same or not.

Could you do it for the whole distance around the track and also compare multiple graphs of each gear set, even to each other? The graphs will either be the same or they will be different. There's no generally the same or interpreted the same, straight forward there either the same or not.

My moneys on a difference and my backup bet's on getting a lot of but, but, but and butts. ... :)

Last edited:
Yes you can do that our alfano, with the download pen, and software provided gobs of data. Our track had three strips, each sector could be broken out individually. We did not keep up with the software(cost) and had to maintain an older computer, we just let it go as it was not worth the cost and effort. Yes gearing was studied in depth, but tne most gains were from concentrating on one sector at a time and many compromises had to be made to bring all sectors together for a fast lap. We don't use the system anymore it was one tool.

You could ovrerlay one lap over another, or one session over another and print them out. It was as valuable as the dyno and many times more valuable. The driver could not argue with the information example RPM overlayed on the track map. Modern software and GPS is phenomenal.

Back