Rear Sprocket Wear

Ragnar

I am seeing uneven wear on our rear gear. Looking from the back of the kart towards the motor the teeth are worn down just on the right side of the sprocket. The left side of the teeth show little to no wear. I have noticed looking closely at the chain as it comes off the gear towards the clutch it rolls off at uneven....right side tilts down some.

Is this due to something bent or just mis-alignment? The wear and grabbing of the chain gets worse with every race.

Anyone seen this before?

You definitely have an alignment problem. What you need to do is get a piece of key-stock long enough to lay on the side of your sprockets, just sit it on the top of the rear sprocket hub, then turn the rear until the front just sits alongside the drive sprocket. You now can slide the hub until the key stock touches both sprockets, there should be no light visible at either end. With chain removed , of course, It could be that your axle has been moved back to lengthen the wheelbase or your mount might be out of wack, I build my own 3 piece billet mounts, and I had to remove the front bolts that hold it together and move it until it was square with the rear sprocket, using a machinist's square or a framing square, once a no visible light condition was achieved, I then used a Transfer punch to relocate the bolts that hold the top plate to the front leg, then drill and tap and countersink for the Allen head bolt. Fixed mine, should fix yours too.

Good info so far. There was another thread similar last week. Another thing to watch. The problem I had. My rear plastic guard was warped a bit. It would push the chain against the sprocket in one area. Just another thing to look at.

Are you seeing the same wear on the clutch gear? If not then id bet its just your rear gear hub out of alignment slightly. You can use a small level and line it up as best as you can and usually be good to go. Hub needs to be moved the opposite way of the side that is wearing...meaning if the right side is wearing, move the hub left

If you loosen up the rear gear hub bolts you can spin the axle foward couple of rounds fairly tight the chain will line it self up. Then tighten hub back up.

Thanks all for helpful responses. W5R I am not seeing the same wear on the clutch. It is only on the rear gear.

Back