Rear stagger by rim size

Ducar 212

I just got 2 brand new 12x8 TX-22 Treaded dirt tires for the rear of my kart. I'd like at least an inch of stagger. I have 2 9 inch rims, and one that is an 8. (I think it says 8.10) anyways would this be a good way to get the stagger I need? Mounting one tire on the narrower wheel?

In my experience yes they tend too . The narrow rim will change it some . I just don't think an inch.
My question would be why a 12/8/6 on the left rear ?
Thats a lot of tire fore that corner.

In my experience yes they tend too . The narrow rim will change it some . I just don't think an inch.
My question would be why a 12/8/6 on the left rear ?
Thats a lot of tire fore that corner.
I wasn't thinking when I ordered them, I should have considered that, in my head a matched set seemed to be what I needed. Well and that's what alot of guys are running at that track, but I completely agree, I should have went with something like an 11x 6-6 if that wouldn't be too much the other way

It ends up being a lot of stagger .
Trying to turn with the 12/8 on the lft rear might be worse . If there doing it , it may work.

I went ahead and tried this and I love the results! I have exactly 1 inch of stagger with 7lbs of air in each tire. I'm thinking of dropping the left rear to 5lbs, and just start with 1 inch at that track. If I need more I could add maybe 5lbs in the right rear. I may end up with 1 and 1/4 total stagger. Which hopefully will work for this track.

A smaller wheel will give you a larger tire circumference. It will also effect the spring rate of the tire by making the sidewall straightener, stiffer.

I used to use rim width to achieve stagger also....seemed better to me than abusing tires.
Yes, exactly I didn't want to do that to brand new tires that were pretty expensive. My old maxxis slicks I would have tried that no problem, but these I didn't wanna go that route unless it was the only way

Dodge the tires tend to keep the same diameter?
I've heard of heating and using air pressure to grow tires, I just didn't wanna have to go down that road with these new tires.
What you just mentioned is common in karting, and if you are unwilling to do as others when it comes to tires, I see a lot of discouragement in your karting experience

I used to use rim width to achieve stagger also....seemed better to me than abusing tires.
Rim widths can only do so much, RR is locked to a 10 inch wide wheel, and not many options for the LR.
For use it was keeping rear spacing the same, while still having different stagger numbers on the same wheel.
Wheel width also changes how the sidewall flexes.
So going from an 8 to an 8 ¾ wheel changes not only the offset, but sidewall stiffness

Part of why I have a 5" dia rim on the LR sometimes.
I don't know any dirt tire that comes in 5" rim anymore, not in the last 15 or 20 years?
I have used a 5" wide tire on the LR, but 6 Dia
Just looking Burris does offer the 5 still, but only in B44B, so yeah they don't make a 5 tire lol

Back