Rear track width

MikeB7372

I have a 2018 comet Eagle and run our local 206 class. Gary gave me numbers for my comet but I am wondering if they run 7.10 rear tires while we have to run 6.00 rear tires. I can't get my rear width to come close to what Gary said it should be. Thanks

Assuming you're talking about Gary Lawson? He just ran and won, one of the Cup Kart North America National classes last weekend. They were also running 6 inch rears. Ask Gary.
We actually followed his setup suggestions on a pair of Margay Ignites we road race. Whatever he suggests, do that!! It will very likely work.
Clark Gaynor Sr.

Assuming you're talking about Gary Lawson? He just ran and won, one of the Cup Kart North America National classes last weekend. They were also running 6 inch rears. Ask Gary.
We actually followed his setup suggestions on a pair of Margay Ignites we road race. Whatever he suggests, do that!! It will very likely work.
Clark Gaynor Sr.

Yes, I am talking about Gary Lawson. I guess I need to ask him what size rear wheels they are running so I can get the proper rear track width on my Comet eagle.

Yes, I am talking about Gary Lawson. I guess I need to ask him what size rear wheels they are running so I can get the proper rear track width on my Comet eagle.
Something I have been wondering about, rear tread width. With different wheel widths, tread widths, how can the overall width tell you anything? And some tell you to measure from the frame to the rim on each side. Want those 2 types of measuring the rear tread conflict with each other? How is one to understand which is the best way? Again, different wheel widths, different tire widths, suggests different measurements. Wouldn't it be better to measure to the center of the tread? With all these different ways of measuring rear width, would it help to have a standard way of measuring?

Something I have been wondering about, rear tread width. With different wheel widths, tread widths, how can the overall width tell you anything? And some tell you to measure from the frame to the rim on each side. Want those 2 types of measuring the rear tread conflict with each other? How is one to understand which is the best way? Again, different wheel widths, different tire widths, suggests different measurements. Wouldn't it be better to measure to the center of the tread? With all these different ways of measuring rear width, would it help to have a standard way of measuring?
NO

Thank you for that very quick and thoughtful response. Short and to the point. I mistakenly (apparently) had this crazy idea that the tread width, center to center, would be a more concise way of measuring it. I withdraw my idea.
After I set up our kart I measure the relative change in width by using calipers (the pointy bit) on the amount of axle that is sticking through the wheel hub (we run fairly narrow). This lets me make sure nothing is shiftting and very small and precise adjustments are possible.

Rules require width to be measured from rim to rim, hence most people measure rim to rim. From a tuning aspect, measuring tread to tread may tell you more, but most don't change up rear rim widths that much.

Rules require width to be measured from rim to rim, hence most people measure rim to rim. From a tuning aspect, measuring tread to tread may tell you more, but most don't change up rear rim widths that much.
Would it be very unusual to have six-inch tread width on 8 inch rims?

Al, 6" tires get over loaded quickly on asphalt sprint tracks. With 6" tires on 8" wheels you get more side wall support so you can run lower pressure and get a bigger contact patch without over heating the tire. Best of all worlds.

Sundog

Al, 6" tires get over loaded quickly on asphalt sprint tracks. With 6" tires on 8" wheels you get more side wall support so you can run lower pressure and get a bigger contact patch without over heating the tire. Best of all worlds.

Sundog
Sundog, Thank you for the friendly handling lessons, I'm sure there are many who will benefit from it, even if I don't. I'd be disappointed if you thought I did know all the stuff.

How are you measuring your width? It should be to the outside of each wheel. I know some measure simply to the end of the thread. What axle do you have in it? Should be a 1040 pkt 2.0. Possible you have 1000 length. The wheels really shouldn’t make a difference on the width unless you have a freak offset. The wider wheels are just wider to the inside typically so it has no affect on the overall width.

It surprises me that nobody measures to the center of the tread. Tread widths and wheel sizes can vary quite a bit, from one kart to another. Only if you measure to the center of the tread width can you really compare your set up to another. Just my opinion.

Back