Reccommendations on a weight distribution hitch?

JPMKarting

Site Supporter
I have an 8.5x30 PACE Shadow trailer that I haul with a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel. The trailer weighs 6000 lbs, and I probably have it at about 10,000 lbs fully loaded.

Can anyone reccommend a good weight distribution hitch? I see them anywhere from 200-1000 bucks.

J.P.

I have a Reese Class IV weight distribution hitch with friction sway control. I haul a 34' camper. It weighs 7000lbs empty and about 9500 loaded. The hitch and sway control do a great job.

I have a Reese Class IV weight distribution hitch with friction sway control. I haul a 34' camper. It weighs 7000lbs empty and about 9500 loaded. The hitch and sway control do a great job.

I dont have any sway issues right now with a conventional hitch...if I add the weight distribution setup, will I need the sway control?

I dont have any sway issues right now with a conventional hitch...if I add the weight distribution setup, will I need the sway control?

No I wouldn't think so. I tow with a 1/2 ton truck. Your truck would be better suited for towing due to the 3/4 ton rating.

JP, if you don't have any sway issues you probably don't need a weight distribution hitch unless you have a heavy tongue weight situation that can't be remedied by shifting some of the cargo in the trailer. I sometimes haul a 28' ft sprint car trailer (the kind with the kickup in the roofline toward the back to clear the wing) at 11,500 lbs with a regular hitch and no issues. Hauler is a 2007 GMC HD 2500 4x4 crew cab diesel with the trailer towing package, so the trailer towing capabilities are about the same as your Dodge; unless the rear end is squating down from the tongue weight, it sounds like you are in good shape as is.

I think the weight distribution hitches add a ton of stability to your towing experience. Don't forget braking! That hitch sure helps when you get on a rain soaked road and have to brake in an emergency. Also be sure to get the 1000# bars (even if you don't need that heavy of bars for your tongue weight.)

When we pulled a 28' sprint trailer with the kick-up like Outriders, we used a 1 ton cube van and the sway bars helped tremendously on the interstate when we would typically get blown off the road by a semi. For short trips though, they were a nuisance.

Best suggestion I can offer is to buy overkill on class and weight.

I used one when we towed the 25' trailer with an F150, (Sport Mod). If you don't have sway now, I would not worry about anti sway. This is the one we have-
http://www.amazon.com/Eaz-Lift-4805...093&sr=8-2&keywords=weight+distribution+hitch

Since I went to an F250, I I don't use it, but I do have some squat. If I was going to travel for more than an hour I would hook up the bars.

A side note- we have this hitch for our 30' camper. IT is weight distribution/Anti sway. We towed it over the rookies with out 1500 suburban and it was a rock behind us. Really like this one, just don't need it for the racing trailer.

http://www.huskytow.com/product/husky-center-line-towing-system/

Back