Red plate gear?

Lucky_7

Normally we run a 1/10 mile flat rack with a 12-69 green plate, rpms are a little low 5200-5400. This weekend we are running a 1/8 mile banked red plate. Looking to hit 5400-5800 rpm. Kart is on slicks. We would normally run 12-65. But I wanted some opinions.

Last edited:
If the bank and track will hold ya and let ya keep momentum up going up on driver won’t hurt....

Either track size is way off or Gearing in your next of the woods is way different, For Green plate or Red plate I would not even take anything bigger than a 66 rear gear along to the track, and that would not get used with a 12 driver.
Do you know what normal drops are on the 1/10th mile ? And what is normal for the 1/8th mile ?

1200 drop on the 1/10th, not sure about the 1/8th.
Even at 1200 drop the 1/10 th with a green plate should be at least a 13 front with like a 63 rear, Red Plate on a 1/8th mile would be a MIN of 1 driver size bigger, back here central Pa a Fri night race on 11's lower grip and only 3.5lb of air with a 600 rpm drop the red plate with a 16/63 would trun 5400 + rpm all night long, With your current 12/69 your gear bound big time UNLESS your driver is off the throttle more than on NEVER building any momentum and your drop is 1200 VS everyone else at 800.

I ran the 12-65 on the 1/8th mile. We turned 5600 with a 800 drop. Kart looked good and fast against the QRC's that dominate the class.

13-63=4.85
12-69=5.75
That;s a huge change?
One tooth on the engine is worth 5+/- on the axle with 12/69 gears.

One track is a big 1/8, the other is a small 1/10.

On my adult clone I run a 12-67 at the 1/10, and a 13-67 at the 1/8. Rpms are consistant 6600-6800 depending on how hooked up it is.

One track is a big 1/8, the other is a small 1/10.

On my adult clone I run a 12-67 at the 1/10, and a 13-67 at the 1/8. Rpms are consistant 6600-6800 depending on how hooked up it is.
Your tires are not right and your chasing rpm with gearing, unless tracks are smaller than your showing.

Your tires are not right and your chasing rpm with gearing, unless tracks are smaller than your showing.

Tires are close for me. I won two in a row, and was second this last weekend. The 10th is small, the 1/8 I thought was big but its acutally small too.

Red plate gearing is no where close to Adult clone.

I was just using it as an example of what the unresticted classes run a the 10th. I think whats got me messed up. Im trying to diagnose the kart without being in the kart. Only thing I can do is look at rpm and ask a 7 year old what it feels like. I dont get a lot of feedback at the moment. When I moved to the 12-69 at the 10th rpms came up to 5400 from 4900. He was faster and has led a few races before rookie mistakes put him in the back of the field. Ill try the other gear you recommended this weekend.

Last edited:
Tires are close for me. I won two in a row, and was second this last weekend. The 10th is small, the 1/8 I thought was big but its acutally small too.

I was just using it as an example of what the unresticted classes run a the 10th. I think whats got me messed up. Im trying to diagnose the kart without being in the kart. Only thing I can do is look at rpm and ask a 7 year old what it feels like. I dont get a lot of feedback at the moment. When I moved to the 12-69 at the 10th rpms came up to 5400 from 4900. He was faster and has led a few races before rookie mistakes put him in the back of the field. Ill try the other gear you recommended this weekend.
Point was in most ever case front driver size on a red plate vs adult is always 2 sizes bigger most cases even more.
Don't shoot the messenger but just because you won a few does not mean tires are as good as they can be, I'd bet you a burger if you had them closer perfect your rear gear would not be above a 65 especially on the 1/8 mile.

Last edited:
I'll take the advice and messages all day. There's only one way to get faster and that's trying different things and suggestions from other racers...

Again, I'll try the gear on the restricted motor, and try to have him keep the momentum up as much possible....

I'll take the advice and messages all day. There's only one way to get faster and that's trying different things and suggestions from other racers...

Again, I'll try the gear on the restricted motor, and try to have him keep the momentum up as much possible....
You can try with confidence, I can assure you proper front driver size for green and red plate clone is not same size as sr clone, then higher rear gear just makes it worse. Just remember if your to far off to start you cannot rely on tach reading being correct.
Good Luck !!

You can try with confidence, I can assure you proper front driver size for green and red plate clone is not same size as sr clone, then higher rear gear just makes it worse. Just remember if your to far off to start you cannot rely on tach reading being correct.
Good Luck !!

Results are in. I put on a 13 driver, (13-69), and had a talk with my guy. He stayed in the throttle as much as possible, lifting for entrance only and right back to floor. Rpms maxed at 5252. I forgot to check the drop in the late stages of the race but id say it was averaging 1000. We did win the race though, against karts that have been fast all year. Once I get him to stay in the throttle more I will hope the max rpms will come up to 5400-5500. We will see how he progresses. Only 2 races left this year.

Thanks for all the help. Im still wrapping my head around this but im sure it will click one day...

Last edited:
Results are in. I put on a 13 driver, (13-69), and had a talk with my guy. He stayed in the throttle as much as possible, lifting for entrance only and right back to floor. Rpms maxed at 5252. I forgot to check the drop in the late stages of the race but id say it was averaging 1000. We did win the race though, against karts that have been fast all year. Once I get him to stay in the throttle more I will hope the max rpms will come up to 5400-5500. We will see how he progresses. Only 2 races left this year.

Thanks for all the help. Im still wrapping my head around this but im sure it will click one day...
With the red plate or green plate ? And did you start with the 69 rear ?

Last edited:
Back