Reedjet modifications.

aracer50

So after iam out of piston oversizes on the Reedjet, What is the next option to make it a larger cc engine. for open type class,s?

A bigger piston equals less horsepower? Why is that? What about the time-honored saying "nothing beats cubic inches"? Other than the fact that a bigger piston is probably heavier, why would it be slower. I have a friend who has a Reed Open McCullough and his piston looks like Swiss cheese. A heavier piston can be compensated for with more counterweight on the crankshaft. My friend has tungsten counterweights (Horstman used to sell them) welded to the crankshaft.
Give me the bore and stroke and I'll tell you how much bigger the bore needs to be for 117 mL

Al , I never mentioned hp just seems like a square motor can run as well and maybe better than one that's been hoged out. Chuck.

Al , I never mentioned hp just seems like a square motor can run as well and maybe better than one that's been hoged out. Chuck.
Depends on what you want it for. For an oval you might do better with a bigger displacement. Chuck, with a piston on the 54s you'll have a 116 out of amost 100 reeds without any further mods or changing the stroke. Of course you better feed it good with a bigger carb and so on. Now my experience on dirt ovals tells me my previous big bore on 57s piston with stock stroke was was very close to the displacement of my stroker 131 Sudam with 54s pistons but wasn't so good on ovals. For ovals I will take a stroker over any big bore.

So many things to consider, rod length/stroke ratio, heavier piston, port timing, all have to be considered.
Adding stroke will change the port timing. Also the rod stroke ratio.
In my time (the dark ages) Komet and Parelli (over square versus under square) were going head-to-head. I've run both with direct drive and can't really say which one was better. I know they both turned about the same peak RPM.

Rain,my mistake you are right on most reeds and rotary engines I had a brain cramp had Yamahas on the front burner lol Chuck.
I know you always have to say I am wrong 1st, lol. Call you later this week, Chuck. We can measure that one if you want.

Back