Reedjet rebuild

jamesvmc

Looking for a new 51mm or 52mm over sized dykes piston for my reedjet rebuild.
does anybody know where i could find one

hey Brian
Is the sudam piston the exact fit except for the size of piston ?
another words is the piston pin the same distance from top to center as the reedjet?
I cant seem to find any drawings on those 2 pistons

Last edited:
Could try giving Lynn Haddock a call...he may have some NOS pistons... I saw he had some listed a while back, but don't know sizing.

You have to put a spacer plate in for the sudam piston as it has a taller compression height. I think Buller sells them. I personally wouldn't get hung up on the dykes ring. A few years back when I was looking for a substitute piston for my K35 I talked to a Wiseco engineer, they run a 1mm rail ring and they seal up fine. I had great luck with them, but now I'm going to try one from Big Mike at Speedparts.co

thanks Brian I also talked with Kermit and he gave me a lot of very good info. on what it is that I need to do.
I'm excited to start this new project and learn alot more about this reedjet. Another thing I would like to ask and I
did extensive googling but could not find info. My reedjet motor when I first purchased it from someone here on bobs
was delivered to me ready to run(that's what he said anyways) I put it on and it ran but not very good. I purchased a Q98 pipe and a carb. from buller.
now that little reedjet sings. Now that im looking for info on my reedjet and seeing pictures of what a real reedjet looks like as
Parrilla iame were selling them, my cylinder head is definitely not a reedjet head it is a Parrilla mag 95 head. No fins at the bottom
of head which reedjets have. My cases are definitely reedjet. My cylinder is what I question. The head studs are shorter then a reedjet to accept
the mag 95 head. Can anyone point me to where I can find port layouts for the reedjet and the mag95 to compare ? Probably not
that much difference. Both iame motors, mag 95 made in 1995, Reedjet made 1998.

Last edited:
thanks Brian I also talked with Kermit and he gave me a lot of very good info. on what it is that I need to do.
I'm excited to start this new project and learn alot more about this reedjet. Another thing I would like to ask and I
did extensive googling but could not find info. My reedjet motor when I first purchased it from someone here on bobs
was delivered to me ready to run(that's what he said anyways) I put it on and it ran but not very good. I purchased a Q98 pipe and a carb. from buller.
now that little reedjet sings. Now that im looking for info on my reedjet and seeing pictures of what a real reedjet looks like as
Parrilla iame were selling them, my cylinder head is definitely not a reedjet head it is a Parrilla mag 95 head. No fins at the bottom
of head which reedjets have. My cases are definitely reedjet. My cylinder is what I question. The head studs are shorter then a reedjet to accept
the mag 95 head. Can anyone point me to where I can find port layouts for the reedjet and the mag95 to compare ? Probably not

There is a difference in performance indeed . I recommend you to visit F100 Spirit of the 90s on Facebook. This group of guys still race these engines as they were originally designed (direct drive configuration) and not only know a lot about them but have all the original homologation sheeets for them with the specs. I should have them somewhere too. Contact them and if you don't find what you want get back to me and I'll try to find you all this info. Hope this helps.

Could post a pic of the engine as many of us can identify these engines. A simple question is to look at the exhaust port to see if its a 2 port or a 3 port exhaust.

The mag95 is a Sudam bore......
You've talked to Kermit. My opinion, he is the best. He just totally went through a reedjet for me. It is 100% worth spending the money. I recently bought a used reedjet that was supposed to be ready to race. The rotor and stater didn't match....meaning it was timed incorrectly. The big end of the rod was egg shaped. The ports were widened too much so it free ported (meaning the transfers were never fully closed).
Kermit fixed it. It took a good bit of work but it will be an engine I can race for years.
Make it an open if you can. He has new tricks now....it is CRAZY how much hp and workable RPMs he found. My first open Sudam made less hp than this thing does.
Mike

Back