Refinishing machines

Bandmn

I am on a SUPER tight budget and i am looking into making my own refinishing machine amd i am looking for a motor to use. For those of you who made their own or anyone who wants to add input i would appreciate any info. I have read where people have used 1/4 and 1/3 motors, has anyone found these to be under powered? Should i just skip the headaches and go with a 1/2 hp?

If a 1/3hp would work just fine this is the one i was looking at using....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mars-Motors-10406-1-3HP-115V-1725RPM-Blower-Motor-/223097114824

Mine has a 1/3 hp motor , 115 v, 1725 rpm , on it and works just fine, If any difference I would go less rpm not more than the 1725.

So do you feel that motor i posted will work just fine?

Only difference I see is mine is a A.O Smith AC motor not sure if that would be different than a blower motor, can't see why it would be hopefully someone else can confirm, but ya mine as plenty of power.

Racing friend has mine , it's been going for ten or more years. Not even sure what the motor came off , furnace or dryer I assume. Too big and you may overwork the tire anyway. 1650-1750 rpm then stepped down you should be fine.

Ok thank you to all who has gave input. I was thinking maybe with it being a blower motor maybe it wouldnt have the torque of an ac motor and bog down to much when you put the grinder to it. If anyone else would like to add input please do! Ive read this thread Building a tire resurfacer and another one on here talking about building a refinishing machine. I want to build mine similar to the one torwards the bottom except maybe mount the motor on the bottom side of the plate to make it more compact. Would love to make it a dual but then im sure i would prob have to step up to a 1/2 hp if i do that, besides is there any REAL benefit to a dual over a single?

Last edited by a moderator:
And also does it matter which direction the tire spins? Im guessing for safty sake you would want the tire rotating away from you incase it catches it would throw the grinder away from you, am i correct?

And also does it matter which direction the tire spins? Im guessing for safty sake you would want the tire rotating away from you incase it catches it would throw the grinder away from you, am i correct?

That's the way mine is and the only way I would want it to rotate.

i can do two tires with mine, have a LEFT and Right hand threat that keeps the tires from coming loose and its a half horse motor

I like the ones built like a bar stool with the motor underneath the axle.
A little smaller and the weight is lower so less tippy.

I want to put the motor under the top of it. I plan on using 1-1/4×1/8 angle iron for the legs and 3/4×1/8 angle for the top so a piece of 3/4 plywood fits in for a top and for a bottom shelf and support. Basically a sturdier and maybe a smaller version of this
image_21671.jpg

I bought my stand from HF, $24 I think. I used a 1" axel which made the pulley and bearings cheaper, my top plate was plywood waterproof coating, lasted for years. Also my motor came from the flee market. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hi jim! Yes i plan on using a 1" live axle from bmi karts its only like 25.00. I thought about using the harbor freight stand but read that it was pretty flimsy and also its not that much more to buy 1/8 thick angle iron by 20ft sticks from a local metal sales company near me. Actually its about the same cost but will be much sturdier. The fab of it will give me something to do with my time till we start back racing in the spring.

^ THIS right here!

I've bought a few "commercially made" tire refinishing stands over the years and been disappointed with every one because they used a cheap Chinese stand under them, or was so narrow at the base that if you even leaned on the tire a bit with a grinder/sander, the whole operation tried to tip over. I even weighted one stand with lead and still dumped it for a better home-made version.
Definitely mount the motor UNDER the top, and keep your electrical outlet away from where you're sanding. Keeping rubber, moisture from coolant, and grit out of these parts will serve you better in the long run.

A quick hub system is worth the investment if you can swing it. If not, you can make your own with a nut welded into the end of the axle and some all thread if you're handy.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz

www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on FaceBook
29 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Brian, do you think the the bottom of the legs being 1 foot wider than the top is enough angle to keep it from wanting to tip. Ive been building it in sketchup and 10 degrees is what i have them set at right now.

Back