Remote starters

Does anyone have experience with remote starters for their vehicle? Thinking of getting one for my wifes Envoy----any problems etc? Thanks for any info , John

contact the dealer they should be able to recommend an installer, diy kits are cheap but with the way they build cars now, 1 wrong connection or weak connection can wreak havoc on all the modules inside cars nowadays

just put one in my wifes 05 fird five hundred. done about 6 of them not real hard , just working under dash sucks. simplest ones are a little better cause they do not have all the door and trunk wires. the better ones have more range . I never seem to get all the options hooked up , don't need them anyway as factory remote has all that. fuel mileage will go down, as run time is increased. that said I love getting into a warm vehicle, with out running out to start it, which its using fuel the same fuel as if remote started maybe more if you let it run longer than 15 min. stand at the door press the button ,warm car . the one troublesome thing is anti theft causes you to use your spare key, there fore you need 3 keys so as to have a spare without get the one under the dash out.

Using a remote starter is very bad for fuel mileage. For that reason, I don't recommend it.

How's it any different then physically starting the vehicle? Best accessory that's on our vehicles this time of the year. I will have one on every vehicle I own.

Does anyone have experience with remote starters for their vehicle? Thinking of getting one for my wifes Envoy----any problems etc? Thanks for any info , John

john if you bought this vehicle used , the remote start option could already be there and you just need the remote on your keychain . a friend of mine found out by checking with the dealer first . i would maybe give them your VIN# and see what options the car came with

It's pretty simple I've been doin them for years. Just get you a simple model one off ebay most come with instructions then go to a wire diagram website such as bulldogsecurity.com or the12volt.com to look up the wire colors for your specific car always always test wire and DO NOT cut or test wires with yellow connectors or yellow plastic wrap around them as those are airbag wires. More than likely if you have. Late model GM vehicle it's gonna be red for the 12v pink for the ignition and yellow for the starter it'll be the thicker gage wires then have to look up the brake switch wire. If you have any questions please pm me. Good luck.

How's it any different then physically starting the vehicle? Best accessory that's on our vehicles this time of the year. I will have one on every vehicle I own.

Well, it's not necessarily different from going to your vehicle to start it. But for the folks like me that want to keep the fuel expenses down the best thing is to start it and drive carefully towards your destination. That 15 minutes of idling for me is about like $3.00 wasted. If you do that for the 5 "cold" months every morning that's $450. Usually by the time I idle out of my neighborhood the coolant temp has reached a point I'm comfortable with so I get into the throttle and crank up the heat. If I lived in a colder climate I might feel differently. It was 20 degrees when I left this morning, though. I'm ready for Spring!

john if you bought this vehicle used , the remote start option could already be there and you just need the remote on your keychain . a friend of mine found out by checking with the dealer first . i would maybe give them your VIN# and see what options the car came with

I'm with Mike I'de see if it has a factory remote system first, I particulary don't like the after market stuff that well. jmo

Well, it's not necessarily different from going to your vehicle to start it. But for the folks like me that want to keep the fuel expenses down the best thing is to start it and drive carefully towards your destination. That 15 minutes of idling for me is about like $3.00 wasted. If you do that for the 5 "cold" months every morning that's $450. Usually by the time I idle out of my neighborhood the coolant temp has reached a point I'm comfortable with so I get into the throttle and crank up the heat. If I lived in a colder climate I might feel differently. It was 20 degrees when I left this morning, though. I'm ready for Spring!
Come on up here where it may be 10- 20 below for 21 days straight : 3 dollars a day seems like a bargin. plus if its outide and covered with frost or snow its even a bigger plus.

Check you new car warranty ( if the car is within warranty ) because the aftermarket remote start, if it messes something up on the vehicle, will NOT be covered by the Auto Mfg.

Heard that a number of years ago from the GM Home Ship.

I have the Ford remote start on the F150, and it is the ****.

$3.00 a day?? Mine runs 10 minutes max, then shuts off. Now, if it uses a gallon of gas in two starting ( going and coming from work ) I would be really surprised. Just saying. What about Summer months, most of you guys are in the Southeast where there is a new definition of HOT, you must like getting in the vehicle after sitting in the Sun all day and your butt sticks to the vinyl seat ( Chevy Pickup LOL ) because it's so HOT. I think I use my remote more in the Summer here than the Winter to be honest.

FWIW

Dave E.

Back