Removing aggressive prep from a maxxis?

Retracer1

I know what the answer to this question is but just in case there’s something I don’t know is there a way to reverse the effects of aggressive prep on a maxxis ht3? And by aggressive I mean gambler purple…

There is no way to remove prep from a tire. Once prep is there, it's done it's job.

You can further alter the tire with more chemicals but it also will never come out.

Heat and time will further alter the tire as well, but neither will remove prep. Not sure why people think of it as removing prep, because it's impossible.

Last edited:
There is no way to remove prep from a tire. Once prep is there, it's done it's job.

You can further alter the tire with more chemicals but it also will never come out.

Heat and time will further alter the tire as well, but neither will remove prep. Not sure why people think of it as removing prep, because it's impossible.
I know I posted the title as removing prep but in my actual question I say reverse the effects. Sorry the title was misleading. I know the prep won’t come out but I was looking ways to maybe reverse or alter the effects like you said. I know it will never be what it was before.

Time and wipes with acrysol can help, but you'll never fully "reverse" or "remove" and aggressive prep as its done its job and already altered the composition of the rubber.

Maxxis are a wash. A great fast tire but just don’t have shelf life after aggressive prep or running. You can try to salvage it by letting it sit outside or hotbox it after grinding but your best bet is turn them into a qualifying set after letting them harden up or sell them as takeoffs while you still can. Maxxis is a brutal world, it sucks but they are fast. Recoup costs by selling as takeoffs or salvage for minimal use is all you can really do.

Hang onto them for 3-6 months in case you get a wet or spongy track to race on where you just can’t get the tires soft enough. Otherwise throw them on for an all kart roll or open practice if you feel compelled. I’ve held onto sets that we wiped goat pee on all day trying to get them down on the duro when we had a wet track. After 6 months I hadn’t used them but they were newer and in better condition than what another JR driver just getting started had on his kart. I asked his dad if he wanted to run a set of my tires to get him stuck to the track and I let him know what he was getting. Worked great for them for a night I told him to keep them! Wouldn’t you know I really wish I had those tires two weeks later! Mark them so you know which ones they are and they don’t get lost in the tire shuffle.

Hot box heat cycles through the tires and wipe them with acrysol between cycles -- that'll help pull some prep and oils out of the tire, but you'll never remove all the prep or fully reverse the effects done to the tire already.
Better off to keep the set back for use as they were prepped for if you can.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back