Repairing 2005 Millenium Tempest

thebigo

Hello everyone. I'm helping my grandson getting into karting and acquired a 2005 Tempest to start with. Budget is tight, hence the used 05 chassis. I am not new to racing or building engines, just a newbie in kart racing. He was able to race about 5 race nights in Sep. 2020 to get the feel. He wants to go on, so now we work.
BTW, I contacted Millenium Chassis for an email address to sent them the info below and the lady stated they could not do anything for the old chassis and ended the conversation without an email address. What support? So I'm tapping the knowledge on this forum for help.I have already learned a lot visit the Clone section. Thanks for that.

I dismantled the chassis to find the front plates that the "L" brackets bolt to are bent. LH plate, top to bottom cupped about 0.100" midway of the plate, but top and bottom sections are parallel front to back.
IMG_0099.JPG

IMG_0100.JPG

That's a shadow on the top view, not cupped.

RH plate, top to bottom is cupped 0.010" midway of the plate, but top and bottom sections are NOT parallel front to back. My guess by eye, about 1 degree.
IMG_0102.JPG

Can't show the top view of the RH side because I'm only allowed three attachments. Is there a procedure to straighten this out safely?
Thank you in advance.

IMG_0101.JPG

Oh I guess max of three pics per post not the hole thread. So here's the top view of the RH side.

Last edited:
Odd the left is worse .
The rh you could twist it back a bit .
The left will require a different approach .
New plate would be best .
A BFH might get it closer .
Like RP said if your comfortable with it it should be fine , watch it for signs of fracture .
Can't help with support issue beyond you don't want it from the office personal anyway .

Flattop1 - Visually checked for cracks and no sign of any. The powder coating is still in tact. I'm anal, but I'm comfortable as long as I can still make adjustment. Thought of the BFH but I think I'll take both of you and RP advise and leave it alone.
Thanks.

What class and weight were your running it in ? What was the rest of your numbers?
Purple plate 310 lbs. Last race.
LF 7* caster, +1* camber, 7 psi
RF 14* caster, -2.5* camber, 6 psi, 1" stagger
LR 5.5 psi
RR 7 psi 1-3/16" stagger

Front 47.4%
Left 54.6%
Cross 55.6%

Slight push on entry and middle. 13/68 slower coming out. Could be just being a rookie driver.

Purple plate 310 lbs. Last race.
LF 7* caster, +1* camber, 7 psi
RF 14* caster, -2.5* camber, 6 psi, 1" stagger
LR 5.5 psi
RR 7 psi 1-3/16" stagger

Front 47.4%
Left 54.6%
Cross 55.6%

Slight push on entry and middle. 13/68 slower coming out. Could be just being a rookie driver.
Short 1/9 th mile is still over 500 lf of racing groove, is he able to keep momentum or is he bottom feeding to much entering to low checking out of the throttle ?

RP - you nailed it. Too low going in, then pushes out and gives up the inside coming out.
It's not as much of an issue UNTIL he figures that out and is making momentum, but once he does your off on gearing and you'll have him gear bound with a 13/68 and you'll chase your tail for any speed, are you running that much caster split and less air in the RF to try to make up for his driving style right now ?

It's not as much of an issue UNTIL he figures that out and is making momentum, but once he does your off on gearing and you'll have him gear bound with a 13/68 and you'll chase your tail for any speed, are you running that much caster split and less air in the RF to try to make up for his driving style right now ?
The caster split was left alone when we got the kart. Yes, I was playing with air pressures to see his reactions. With a few races under his belt, he responded to my changes without me telling him what I did. Had 13/65 and he ended up in the apex every time, so I gave him bottom end to help him from allowing 2 or 3 karts passing him on the inside. I will start with a totally different setup for next season. I read on this site, the tempest ran best with initial setting of about 46% front, 56% left and 63-65% cross.

If he's not running the proper groove that much cross will only compound the problem. I would put something really stable in for him.
46 nose same as you wanted
56left same as you wanted
58ish cross
+.5 Lf camber - 2.5- RF camber
Caster 8 and 12 I believe that was factory on those.
I would go with 1 1/2 front stagger and on 9th mile track try and get 1 1/2 in the rear.

What tires are you running and what track/Location/ state. The more info you can provide the better this wonderful community called Bob's can help!

Ken @racing promotor is right. If you get him running up in the groove you'll need to take teeth off. You may even need to go up on the driver depending on how the track is shaped and moment is carried.

I hope this helps! Please keep us posted!

If he's not running the proper groove that much cross will only compound the problem. I would put something really stable in for him.
58ish cross
I would go with 1 1/2 front stagger and on 9th mile track try and get 1 1/2 in the rear.

What tires are you running and what track/Location/ state. The more info you can provide the better this wonderful community called Bob's can help!

Ken @racing promotor is right. If you get him running up in the groove you'll need to take teeth off. You may even need to go up on the driver depending on how the track is shaped and moment is carried.

And once he's in the groove maximizing momentum then increase the cross to like 62 %, and gearing will change you'll be on a 14 driver for sure, good chance maybe even a 15 driver.

58ish cross

Yes, this site is awesome and already learnt a lot at 72. I'm stoked I can still do it. The track was built Aug. 2020 and is located in Chatham/Kent, Ontario Canada. Turns 1 & 2 wider radius than 3 & 4, shaped like an egg, slight bank on both.
The numbers you gave are not too far from where I had it. So I'm going the right direction. I'm sure his driving will improve requiring further adjustment. Eventually look into a newer chassis. Around here we all cross the pond to Michigan. Availability are UltraMax and Phantom. That's what most racers have.
Oh, forgot the tires. Burris 33A.

Last edited:
I'm always amazed when somebody can recommend a stagger without knowing the radius of the turns. It's such a simple calculation!

What that looks like to me is the factory welded the one side a little off and bent the plate to make it up.

Back