replacement bolts

When you say "legal", I assume you mean Box Stock. Any side cover bolt or stud can be used as long as its the correct stock thread. Head bolts need to be "stock" head bolts. Honda head bolts are much better than clone. Just saying. Not legal but better.

I am new to karting,let me get this right. You can take a $200 engine, spend $500 to $1000 on "stock" up grades. Use billet FW, aftermarket cam, exhaust, intake, valves, springs, rings,gaskets, and 10.9 studs on side cover but you have to use cheap Chinese head bolts??? What with that?

I am new to karting,let me get this right. You can take a $200 engine, spend $500 to $1000 on "stock" up grades. Use billet FW, aftermarket cam, exhaust, intake, valves, springs, rings,gaskets, and 10.9 studs on side cover but you have to use cheap Chinese head bolts??? What with that?

Write a letter.

but you have to use cheap Chinese head bolts??? What with that?

Let me say that this is only MY interpretation of AKRA Box Stock rules. Keep in mind, other sanctioning bodies may allow different stuff and my interpretation has been pointed out as being askew of the intended meaning many times. Proclaimed officials give their interpretations on here at times but the only interpretation that truly matters is the tech man at the race on the given night you win. That too can and does change as well. Most of the time the reason for rules in this class is to promote DIYs and to keep cost down, so it is explained to me. Keep in mind that there have been many many clone engines manufacturers. Not all of them used the same bolts. Some used better bolts than others. "As compared to known stock part" is a term thrown around many times. If the head bolt quality is truly a real concern you have, can you tell a Honda bolt from EVERY clone bolt ever used in these engines? I cant. Head bolt failure has not been a major issue I don't think. When it becomes one, I feel sure a rule will arise to address it. Good luck.

I would love to be able to use head studs. I put new bolts in every engine now, I wouldn't have to do that with studs, and the threads would last longer in the block. JMO

best case would be make the head studs optional for whoever wishes to use them since there is no performance advantage in using them.

Back