Replacing Bearings ?

Need to replace bearings on a 17 reacon champions edition , how do i get the lube ring off from around the bearing ? Also do i need the standard bearings with the large OD or the bearings with the small OD

Last edited:
Slide the bearing off the end of the axle, then the bearing will twist out of the lube ring. It uses the small od bearings.

There could be 2 different trians of thought here .
My initial thought was yes even never seize not often lubrication is wrong .
The thing to consider is grease , oil , wax or other lubricant may attract dirt .
I have done both ways , now consider the tri flow best . After all it is a wear item .

I use PRC bearing oil inside the bearings and a high temp grease on the lube rings. We also strip the karts after every race and clean everything.

clean your bearings frequently, especially if you race on dirt, especially if the dirt has a high level of sand in it, I just replaced both axle bearings because I failed to follow my own advice, both bearings seized up...OOPS! along with that, keep your clutch clean just the same....

Sonic cleaner works great or go minimalist and just use brake kleen to flush them and add some lube once clean. WD40 or TriFlow works well.

How would i go about cleaning them ? Do i need to take them off the chassi ? Do the shields need to be off the bearings? Can you just put them in a lubricant and let them si ?

Our procedure:

-Pull all hub bearings and rear axle bearings

-GENTLY remove rubber seals. Rear axle metal seals, pull off and throw away.

-Run bearings in a sonic cleaner with Simple Green for 20 minutes

-Pull out, hose out with water

-Blow dry with air

-Lube with TriFlo

Simple green and water to flush out.
Blow with compressed air
Final hit of brake clean to disperse any water left behind.
Lube, with Wurth lubricant (my preference) or get a squirt can and use your used oil. Just an idea to re use your oil, and will work in a pinch.

The bearings are the sealed bearings, how to get the metal shield off or is it not removable?

A small flat blade screw driver will pop the metal seal out. Once that is out, throw it a way.

I then use a small pick to gently pull the rubber seal out to open the bearings. This gets snapped back in once the cleaning is done

ive found if you use a nice knife with a thin blade on it, you can use it to get the shield off a bearing by slowly and carefully working the knife blade into the opening around the edge of the shield and then sliding the blade in and working it around the shield carefully so you don't bend it or mis-shape it until it comes off, this way, you can gently replace it back on the bearing after youre done cleaning it...same holds true with the inner rubber seal...

Measure everything before you take it apart, maybe take pictures, maybe scribe some lines where everything was located. Take note of where your collars are.

Our procedure:

-Pull all hub bearings and rear axle bearings

-GENTLY remove rubber seals. Rear axle metal seals, pull off and throw away.

-Run bearings in a sonic cleaner with Simple Green for 20 minutes

-Pull out, hose out with water

-Blow dry with air

-Lube with TriFlo
What kind of tri flo? I see theres so many

Back