Respect

It seems like respect is in short supply. We have raced for a long time and when we started if somebody got beside you , they had the line. Now it seems the thing to do is run the inside guy into the infield or at least cut into them. We see this from J1-adults, with some of the kids being really blatant--obviously instructed by nondriving adults. Just venting, John

And the more the track allows it... The more it will be.
That is not racin. It's more like big $$ bumper karts..

It seems like respect is in short supply. We have raced for a long time and when we started if somebody got beside you , they had the line. Now it seems the thing to do is run the inside guy into the infield or at least cut into them. We see this from J1-adults, with some of the kids being really blatant--obviously instructed by nondriving adults. Just venting, John

I agree 1000%

cleanest racing you will ever see is a class running with no bodys they wont touch at all. I'm sure theres still a few old schoolers on here that remember back in the 80s and earlier 90s when bodys weren't allowed.

I have no problem giving up my line or position to a kart that is faster than me and is willing to earn the spot im in, but one thing i wont do is just give up my spot i earned to someone who would rather try to take me out of the race or dump me in the turn to gain my spot, i have no respect at all for people that do that. I do understand what clean racing is, and i do understand what blocking is as well. Its my opinion that if you have a faster kart than the man in front of you, you will find a way around when he slips up or makes a mistake, but if he does not make a mistake and you cant get your nose inside him, you dont deserve the spot. If someone is blocking, i tend to get right on their bumper for a few laps and nudge them a few times to let them know im there, if they continue to block, i will either get right on the bumper and slightly push them a little higher in the turn, or i will simply put the bumper to him and spin him out for continuing to block. What some dont realize is, most guys will race you the same way you race them. If you give someone a clean race and pass them clean, they will do the same to you. Dump them for no reason or just to gain a spot, and it will come back to you eventually. Of course, last lap racing tends to be approached a little differently and i can also understand that as well, to a point.

I appreciate this thread. I'm limited in experience and learning. I've lost the lead or position on numerous times. That said, I've been nudged on multiple laps and eventually passed. My point is and will be, I'm trying to run the line that gets me in and out of the corner quickly. On the straight, I'll venture out wide enough to get good speed and allow you room to the outside. In a sense, some would consider it blocking. I do not. Reason being: Trying to be smooth on a line, and I don't have eyes in the back of my head. Most of the guys I run with race the same way. Best pass for me comes out of the turn or on the bumper of the guy directly in front of me making a pass. I also don't begrudge those guys giving me a tap. Kart control then comes into play. I guess I see it as a part of racing. Hope none are offended by my position on this. I'll bet I could race with Weddle Racing as I won't just give my spot away.

giving a tap, letting you know that i'm behind you, nudging a little in the corners....i can understand and feel that it's all part of racing. but, you want my spot? then earn it! you beat and bang your way past me and try to tear up my equipment? now expensive do you want to get? i do not and won't drive you into a wall or beat and bang on you. not my style. but! i will not make it easy for you to pass. you want my position, then earn it the right way.

respect is earned....half the kids and some adults that race think that who they are demands respect. you want my respect? earn it! you want me to recognize you for who you are? then show me that you can drive.

you try and tear my equipment up? unless it's the last corner of the last lap of the last race that will ever be run, you will have to race me again....the second time, you might not like the results.

just my thoughts....

I agree, it seems as if people are forgetting that they arent in bumper cars at the fairgrounds anymore. Sometimes respect cant be earned and Ive learned that. I raced a guy clean all year and no matter what, if you got under him and had position, he would cut down. I race everyone clean, until you just cant figure it out. Not that Im gonna put you in the wall afterwards, but if theres a slight chance I think I can get by you but we might rub, Ill shoot for it. It happened on the last lap in the feature, in the last race of the season. He cut down, spun himself out and blamed me, but I had delt with it all year. Anyways, my point is try and race as clean as possible, but stand your ground and dont get bullied out of positions.

The number one rule of asphalt oval racing seens to be if someone comes down on you, you must take them around. It is IMHO what keeps asphalt oval racing stable. The inside kart is not going to move the outside up unless there out on their own, because someone will get under them.

It should be an automatic that if someone comes down on you, you both go around and to the back, no hard feelings, it's just the way it is. Consistency in following the rule, will limit it's need.

...Its my opinion that if you have a faster kart than the man in front of you, you will find a way around when he slips up or makes a mistake, but if he does not make a mistake and you cant get your nose inside him, you dont deserve the spot.
If someone is blocking, i tend to get right on their bumper for a few laps and nudge them a few times to let them know im there, if they continue to block, i will either get right on the bumper and slightly push them a little higher in the turn, or i will simply put the bumper to him and spin him out for continuing to block.

I hope you realize that those two statements are opposites?!! Obviously you don't mean the first one, and when you think someone's "blocking" you dump them. They paid their entry fee just like you did and are entitled to run whatever safe line they'd like, including hugging the inside. Find a way around cleanly or follow. Anything else is dirty driving. I'm a racer AND have been an official, and if I saw you dump a slower kart for ANY reason, you'd be to the back, then DQ'd if it happened again.

Racers get frustrated when there's only 1 or 1-1/2 lanes of racing and dump the "slower" person ahead of them (or use them as brakes on turn entry to dump them). I can understand the frustration, but it's not right to take it out on your competitors. Learn some patience, learn some driving and setup skill, experiment with alternative lines and setups that allow for passing, and COMPLAIN TO THE TRACK OWNER/PREPPER THAT THEIR METHOD SUCKS!! It's not hard to prep a track so that there's multiple lines -- it just requires some work during warmups and practice and some techniques of prepping...

cleanest racing you will ever see is a class running with no bodys they wont touch at all. I'm sure theres still a few old schoolers on here that remember back in the 80s and earlier 90s when bodys weren't allowed.
you haven't watched a champ kart race lately have you ?.... some of those races are the absolute worst ones as far as cautions because of lack of respect

when my son started racing I told him to race someone the way he wanted to be raced. If you start cutting someone off and driving like a idot expect the worse. i also told him no matter win or lose tell your competitor good race. I know that at times you have to stand up for yourself. I've i'd to do it a time or two.I could go on and on, but kids need to be taught how to drive with respect and that includes some adults too.
If you really want to see how racer's race ask to flag in a corner at your local track.You will see things that you wont see standing at the fence.
alan

Back