Restarts

4zracing

We are new to karting. My son runs purple plate. On restart should he keep his RPM’s above or below where the clutch engages prior to the start? Or does it matter?

If your tail end Charlie , you wanna lay back as much as possible /or they allow .
Roll up past them at top speed .
If on the pole slow enough that you can get a jump on the green .
Anywhere in between is dictated by the pack and flag people .

Are your talking from a pole position stand point ? Or in the Pack ? At my track , I use a fire box , meaning the pole kart cannot start on the green until they are anywhere inside the firebox . I want my karts to pace around the track at a steady pace just fast enough to get around without taking forever , but slow enough to keep everyone together , and not strung out . I would like to see at least daylight between karts , but that sometimes doesn't happen . If your the pole kart and coming to the green , anticipating when to hit the gas is a key to getting out ahead of the ones behind you . Most will wait until the kart behind them gets over anxious and bumps them , which at that point is when you want to hit the gas , because that bump has pushed you out ahead of the kart behind and gives you an advantage of the helping bump . Good drivers will not bump the kart in front , but will lean right on the bumper of the kart ahead of them just enough to anticipate the leaders start and go with them . In most cases , if they bump you , they will try and check up , and that causes all kinds of mayhem behind them . But to answer your question , the pole kart sets the pace for everyone else to follow . Keeping it just below lockup or right at that point seems to be where most are going to be . The track people will let you know if your pacing the field to fast or to slow at most tracks , but the pole kart sets the pace for the rest to follow .

Are your talking from a pole position stand point ? Or in the Pack ? At my track , I use a fire box , meaning the pole kart cannot start on the green until they are anywhere inside the firebox . I want my karts to pace around the track at a steady pace just fast enough to get around without taking forever , but slow enough to keep everyone together , and not strung out . I would like to see at least daylight between karts , but that sometimes doesn't happen . If your the pole kart and coming to the green , anticipating when to hit the gas is a key to getting out ahead of the ones behind you . Most will wait until the kart behind them gets over anxious and bumps them , which at that point is when you want to hit the gas , because that bump has pushed you out ahead of the kart behind and gives you an advantage of the helping bump . Good drivers will not bump the kart in front , but will lean right on the bumper of the kart ahead of them just enough to anticipate the leaders start and go with them . In most cases , if they bump you , they will try and check up , and that causes all kinds of mayhem behind them . But to answer your question , the pole kart sets the pace for everyone else to follow . Keeping it just below lockup or right at that point seems to be where most are going to be . The track people will let you know if your pacing the field to fast or to slow at most tracks , but the pole kart sets the pace for the rest to follow .
Well put. Most people would also state that the pole kart starts the race. I always say unless I'm second; then we'll see.
In reality the flag man starts the race, if the green is out it doesn't matter what the pole sitter does.

I also like to keep my rpm under engagement and wait for a bump from behind.

We are new to karting. My son runs purple plate. On restart should he keep his RPM’s above or below where the clutch engages prior to the start? Or does it matter?
That all depends by the karts pace under caution. If pace is slow, he cant help but be under engagement RPM, if pace is faster, he may be above it. What you dont want is him right at the engagement RPM slipping the clutch.

Back