Restarts

Ratistiss

My son running in hi Jr. sportsman blue plate was having issues on restarts. The karts in front of him would take of and he we leave a bit later. He said he is watching the kart in front of him but he is still a bit delayed. This happened bot on 2 wide and single wide caution restarts. Is That correct to watch the kart in front of you? Should he be looking at anything particular?

My son running in hi Jr. sportsman blue plate was having issues on restarts. The karts in front of him would take of and he we leave a bit later. He said he is watching the kart in front of him but he is still a bit delayed. This happened bot on 2 wide and single wide caution restarts. Is That correct to watch the kart in front of you? Should he be looking at anything particular?
Tell him to ride the guys bumper and throttle it up right before the leader hits the cone. He should be able to beat the guy to the corner with his motor being racked up more than the guy in front of him.

Our youngest son got complaints all the time from other parents about jumping the starts. Not once did he jump a start, he simply went when the green flag flew, not waiting for the car in front of him. He won many races on the first lap because he was prepared.

Watch the flagman and be ready to go. Throttle on, clutch engaged, drag the brake, be up on the wheel and be alert!

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Our youngest son got complaints all the time from other parents about jumping the starts. Not once did he jump a start, he simply went when the green flag flew, not waiting for the car in front of him. He won many races on the first lap because he was prepared.

Watch the flagman and be ready to go. Throttle on, clutch engaged, drag the brake, be up on the wheel and be alert!

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
That's what i tell my drivers. If the flag is waiving GO!
I am also teaching them how to jump the start and/or get into the head of the person who thinks they are supposed to start the race.
For example, on a two wide start the second place kart puts his nose out in front of first place. First place will get upset and get on the throttle to catch up. When that happens - GO!
Alternatively, when in first bring them around real slow. Let the second place kart get ahead. When he gets nervous and touches the break - GO! Like it or not it works and we almost never get called for jumping the start.

Good tips on this from above. Have you checked your clutch? I can tell when ours needs to be freshened up when it gets lazy on restarts.
Yea, not sure but the ring around the edge is deep and doesn't look normal

Attachments

• PXL_20220608_203746143.jpg
    PXL_20220608_203746143.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 34
Even when I'm sitting on the pole I'm throttled up and riding the brake so even if someone is watching the flagger, the kart in front of them, whatever, the race still doesn't start until the leader goes and they're likely to get the jump no matter what happens. There's no surefire way to get good starts without simply having seat time. There are some "tricks" as mentioned above, but there's also just plain ol' instinct and intuition with a little anticipation thrown in. With time he'll get better.

Need to file flat all the faces of the slots for disc tabs. Those can cause the clutch to slip.
Just normal maintenance thing
Stopped using the Bully baskets for that reason. I have aftermarket steel baskets on my Bully's now. The only one I still have aluminum on is my SMC Vortex with threaded drivers. Different aluminum...harder and so far it's held up pretty well.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
Yes the driver must do there part, but keep in mind a TURD for a motor and not a top notch clutch will never take off.

Yea, not sure but the ring around the edge is deep and doesn't look normal
Can you add spacers inside the basket, and less spaces outside the basket? You'll need to watch the clutch disc and make sure they have enough of the basket to grab.

Running air too low especially on the LR can cause a slow take off also. If you have to reduce air for conditions, reduce the split. i.e. if you are running 6 psi Right and 5 psi left don't air down the LR, just the right sides 0.3-0.5 psi. Gearing could also be an issue. I dropped tooth on the axle when the track was picking up time and it killed us on restarts in our second race last Saturday.

Restarting well is more of an art for drivers even when everything is tuned up correctly. We've qualified well lately so I'll tell my son when you are in the restart zone and you feel the kart behind you bump you, MASH IT! Mid pack restarts are tough, it's like bumper cars and you just have to take it and stay on the kart in front of you. The art comes in by leaving yourself enough room to react to what's going to happen in turns 1 and 2 without being 2 kart lengths behind.

I’ve seen many many people tell their kids to beat on that leaders bumper the entire trip. I personally do not agree with this. Every time my son hits the starting kart it launches him and slows us. Then when people are hitting us it launches us ahead.

tell him to hold the brake and throttle, keeping the rpms up, and stay on the bumper of the kart in front. Watch all the karts ahead and when they go he needs to go by dropping the hammer and off the brake.
what lucky_7 said .... also, i tell my little man, you have to GO BEFORE THEM, or they will leave you, if you jump the start, they will restart you... and dont be stupid about it, even at 8years old, he gets it

Back