Restrictor Plate Vs peak torque RPM

jrnoviceracedad

Hey Guys, new to Karting and this forum. I just bought a kart for my son to race and am working out some bugs. Its powered by a stock 4hp Honda Gx120 with a restrictor plate. I don't have the means...... (Money or faculties) to get my engine dyno'd. but i was wondering if a engine with a restrictor plate will reach peak torque at the same rpm. I just got a new clutch for his kart (Hillard inferno flame) and trying to determine best engagement speeds. Attached is the stock dyno from Honda

5.4 lb-ft (7.3 Nm) @ 2,500 rpm
3.5 HP (2.6 kW) @ 3,600 rpm

Thanks!!!!
gx120 (1).jpg

Sprint racing ?
If your asking about clutch engagement that looks like a pretty flat curve .
Jmo but I believe the restrictor will lower the peaks some .

Reading your post and guessing your child is young, it's not the time to worry about dyno anything.

What you and your child need is first "seat time, seat time and seat time".
Guessing again from your input if the thing seems to run ok, ... then run it.

Gear with what others are gearing or if confused about gearing put too much on to be taken off to get to what others use by trial and error, and set the clutch to engage at the rpm others do: ....
then it's seat time, seat time and more seat time with dad watching intently and listening even more so.

We can't wait to then hear what on or off track problems you have which from a historical perspective on here will get fixed.
Your initial job is gearing, clutch engagement, listening, watching and get your child seat time seat time and more seat time.

He's racing ovals 10th mile dirt track.

Yes he's very young..... 6 years old. Fist time ever on a tack was last week and he is HOOKED on racing now. Have to replace the clutch... the old one is very worn and the bushings and drum are shot. Just wondering where to start with the new clutch

^ Collin, It should say right on the side of the box it came in. or possibly with the paperwork (if it's not in Chinese.) You will want to set your clutch to engage at peak torque.
I don't work at all on Predator engines in our shop, but we do a lot of clutches for them, and peak torque can be all over the place for rules. A lot will depend on your rules package. Straight out of the box though will be very low engagement. If you have no idea, then set it around 2600 rpm (just so it's above the idle rpm.)

Back