Resurfacing burris 33's

Chris86

Just needing a little advice. Going indoor racing this winter and was wanting to know what grit or grits of sandpaper to use to resurface my tires?

Depends on grip the track is calling for...80 or 60 will run about any where...more bite needed higher the grit...120 is supper fine and is for high bite tracks...or good looks...some do their toe nails with 120...LOL...(jk)..im talking flapper disc...

What tire pressure is recommended when resurfacing? Just enough to keep the surface flat? Also, what is the best lube to use? Windex? Simple Green? Sure would like to learn more on this subject. Thanks for any input!

DirtyDan

10 psi...makes tire a bit harder than racing tire psi...dawn dish soap till water turns a light blue...then add about a cup of alky to help cool the tire...in a qt spray bottle...

I stay away from simple green Windex and things like that...it tends to fling in your eyes n face sometimes...even with glasses on...it burns eyes sometimes...good ol soap n water is actually best....

put the tires in a deep freezer for 4 hours, then take them out one at a time as you work them. In other words, only take out the tire you plan on resurfacing, leave the rest in the freezer to stay cold. This way, you dont have crap flinging into your eyes or all over you, no mess, and the tire stays cool unless you are working it too hard. I do this everytime i resurface my tires, and it works flawlessly. I do mine with either a 80 grit flap disc or a 80 grit belt sander, depending on what im wanting at the time, usually the belt sander. It definately beats getting soap and water, alcohol or windex in your eyes or all over yourself.

I do my dirt tires either every week or every other week depending on wear. I dont take a lot off, just enough to get any ugly out

LOL..might work good to freeze them..but, when doing 10 or so sets a day who has time for that...

Most of the people asking questions about how to resurface tires arent tire shops or tire guys like you might be and dont do 10 sets of tires a day lol. All you gotta do is put a few sets in the freezer today and come back out tomorow and hit them with the flapper or sander, its that simple and no wasting time waiting on them to freeze by doing it that way.

OP - Most people only resurface them when the tires need it, like when they start getting glazed over looking or start getting cut up from being ran on a rough or abrasive track. Resurfacing more than once every couple of weeks is just wasting your time and taking un-nessecary rubber off the tire, which is reducing the life you will get out of the tires. I do mine very lightly once a month or once every few weeks, but its a pain when you have to take the time to do 8 or 10 sets of tires lol.

We also resurface our tires after every race weekend and sometimes more if we are at a bigger race and have to use the same tires. This will keep the pores open and will let the prep get down into the tires and also knock the dead rubber off the surface of the tires. We have saw benifits to staying on a fresh surfaced tire over a ran tire almost always. I will 99.9% of the time be on a fresh surfaced tire along with all of our top running customers.

We also resurface our tires after every race weekend and sometimes more if we are at a bigger race and have to use the same tires. This will keep the pores open and will let the prep get down into the tires and also knock the dead rubber off the surface of the tires. We have saw benifits to staying on a fresh surfaced tire over a ran tire almost always. I will 99.9% of the time be on a fresh surfaced tire along with all of our top running customers.
x2 resurfacing should happen after every weekend

it doesnt have to be done every week to win races...But, does help pro long the life of the tire by getting dead rubber off and not over working the tire when racing...which in turn makes tire faster and better in the long run...works very well on all tires...including asphalt tires...

Back