Resurfacing Burris tires

thanks! Before the cutter I used to just mount them on the kart and fire it up. I could do 2 at a time tho which was nice... lol. Anything to spin it for you I was actually at one point going to put them in the shop drill press cause I was getting sick of cleaning rubber of the kart.

Someone needs to help me understand this courser finish on tires, When track is as pointed out If your watching the guy's out racing the ones with there tires racing the cleanest will be up front, Plus NO one goes back out on dirty tires SO WHY would you ever want a course finish holding more dirt in the tire VS Smooth.

Plus there are very few times I disagree with Jamie and Brian but I'm with Earl on the whole simple green deal, not buying into it.

Here's my theory.
The coarser/deeper finish works like micro-sipes in the tire to help build heat in the tire on soft or dusty/crumby tracks.
On a harder "bit up" track, you don't have a problem building heat, or cutting through that dust on the track, so a finer finish is best.

No one should be going on the track with dirty tires. I'm not sure where you came up with that.
Tires should be cleaned every time that they come off of the track.

No, I'm not a fan of Simple Green for cleaning tires (although it works well on the rest of the car, and especially good on air filters.)
Simple Green is a pretty strong degreaser. Degreasers "remove" grease (ie oil.) If that's what you want to accomplish, then it will work fine.
Yes, I've seen tracks that guys have won on with just using Simple Green. Every time it's been a bit up track.

To me, a good tire cleaner will remove the dirt, but leave the prep and oil in the tire where it belongs.

Just my opinion...it works for our tire program. :)

I was making a point everyone washes there tires so why would you finish them to collect dirt, And if you believe this theory why even wash them not making a suggestion.
I'll go back to what I point out under this condition as you watch the karts on track the fastest of the fast guy's tires will be racing the cleanest on track, I for sure would not buy this theory to qualify !!

Our process:

Burris 11-33 for SOFT tracks

-80 grit on a variable speed grinder/polisher at about 30-40% speed
-150 grit next

Burris 33-55, Vega, Maxxis, Indoor tires for HARD tracks:

-150 Grit
-220 Grit
-Finish with scotch brite pad

Tire turns at 350 RPM. I use 75% windshield wash fluid, 25% methanol as a lubricant

Run them on a tire grinder and use a belt sander on the tire. 120 grit held at a 45* go left to right and then right to left and cross hatch them. Then I will run a coarse scotch brite pad over them. Probably wrong to some but it works for me. View attachment 6030
That does look nice! So the 120 grit works best for you? I run on a harder, slick surface, that tends to bite up as the sun goes down, and the track temperature drops. So I was thinking maybe a 220 grit finish for me?

Try different things till you find what works for you. I use 120 because it not only as Brian said earlier helps put some heat in the tire, it helps get prep a bit deeper into the tire and if you run your hand across it you will feel a slight drag which I feel helps give a bit of traction on dry dusty slick track surfaces.

Try different things till you find what works for you. I use 120 because it not only as Brian said earlier helps put some heat in the tire, it helps get prep a bit deeper into the tire and if you run your hand across it you will feel a slight drag which I feel helps give a bit of traction on dry dusty slick track surfaces.
If part of the tracks make up was silt run off from granite I'd buy this theory like 20%, since there not dirt on dirt does not make more grip, certainly not more than dirt on rubber would be my line of thinking.

Try it, Ken. I think you're being dogmatic about smooth tires being clean and courser finish tires being dirty on the track.
I've not seen that to be the case, at least with our tire finish.
I plateau finish all of our tires, just like I do an engine cylinder.
Our tires certainly aren't "dirty" while racing, and they're certainly out front. :)

Where ovaltech1 races, I'd probably skip the plateau process and leave them cut open @ 80g -- have you seen some of his pictures from race day?
I suspect that treads would be faster there!
Holy cow, they must have to drop coins in to make the water truck go. ;)

Where ovaltech1 races, I'd probably skip the plateau process and leave them cut open @ 80g -- have you seen some of his pictures from race day?
I suspect that treads would be faster there!
Holy cow, they must have to drop coins in to make the water truck go. ;)
Yeah I said what a @#$%& ruff track, id find somewhere else

What is everyone's thoughts of using a sanding block, or a Scotch Brite pad ( possibly even during the washing process) to open up pores on tires, prior to prepping, at the track. Just curious, asking for a friend ?

What is everyone's thoughts of using a sanding block, or a Scotch Brite pad ( possibly even during the washing process) to open up pores on tires, prior to prepping, at the track. Just curious, asking for a friend ?
As long as that freind is washing the tire. , i dont care : scotch brite pads or rag is fine with me even a scrub brush .
Simple green , soap or tire cleaner your choice .

Back