Return of the aixro

ZacLamb

Even with the rule changes, the aixro has all but disappeared from the UAS series. With only one racer listing an aixro as their primary engine in the 2016 final point standings. With the favored engine choice being large displacement mx/speedway engines, the best karting specific engine (opinionated) needs a little help getting back into the competitive scene. In stock configuration, the wankel puts out a modest 48hp, so let's see what we can do to get it closer to all the 80hp figures I hear the 250's and 500's put out. The supercharged efi aixro that was buily by parajet to fly over everest apparently put out around 90hp. There are also rumors of a turbo efi wankel running around Australia, which the builders claim makes 89hp at only 5000rpm (but no real proof, http://www.kartsportnews.com/c16/feat-motorexpo2016.html ).

In both of the previously mentioned examples, EFI was a common factor. Probably due to the fact that it will be much easier to tune than a carb, especially with boost added into the equation. So instead of looking for a complete COTS solution i'm taking the long way around and building my own system. Thankfully there is an extremely versatile ECU with a tiny foot print (less than 5 inches wide), with a wide range of capabilities. Which is microsquirt. With microsquirt, you must wire your own harness, calibrate your sensors, create the fuel table (AFR based or open-loop), and so on. Not exactly plug an play. Tuning will be done with TunerStudio. Free software with a lot of features and support for a wankel.

Ideally I want match the performance of the dual methanol carbs, which we have been running successively for over 3 years. Then once the EFI is proven, add a turbo. I even put a picture of the engine's seals after 3 seasons of methanol in the link below for anyone who still thinks it hurts these engines. Seals and rotor look like new.

Update:
- harness wired with temporary connections (quick and ugly)
- wideband (tested with my old outlander, idles at stoich of 14.7), TPS, IAT, CLT wired and calibrated
- MAP working but not yet calibrated (may need a sensor with known voltage ranges)

remaining:
- weld bungs for IAT and wideband
- hook up fuel system
- tach signal for ecu (may have to ditch the stock ignition and make my own)
- tuning

If anyone would like to know, I can list the parts used thus far.

Photos:
https://goo.gl/photos/Fe2tbYCtUEkWiVW8A

I congratulate Zac on his great project.
I see "Wankel Biter" every day.....sitting on a shelf.
My son's profession......the intrusion of cancer into my life (now in full remission) and a great
project which is no where near the complexity of Zac's keep me well entertained in karting projects.

I forgot "Earth Turner 2". It was blown up several years ago.....and sets ready to be re-constructed
when and if I ever get around to it. ET 2 is a progression of ET 1, originally built by the great Willie Sink.

Thanks for the mention, tho.

u going to offer this set up for sale.

I may consider it. But I would like to do some more testing before building a kit for someone. The cost will be relatively high, when compared to the dual methanol carbs. I will check my costs and see what the parts alone cost me.

First track test is in the books. Extremely happy to say we had zero problems with the EFI all day/night. Only work we did to the kart was fix a throttle cable to the vacuum actuator to open the second port on the stock intake manifold. However, a surprise track watering did screw up our tire program. Kart was not happy. Qualified 3rd out of 12, and finished 4th in the feature with competition including jawa, 2-stroke mx, billet 305, 131's, etc. To be honest I could've finished last and still been happy that nothing failed. Still have more fuel curve tuning and some timing adjustments to make, but it's close. Max bearing temp after a 15 minute race with 40 laps total (20 caution) was 207 degrees F. Far from the 285 max.

GoPro died before hot laps and switched to one of those cheap GoPro knock-offs. Have video of the feature, but there are so many dropped frames it is proving impossible to edit. Tried 3 video editors and they all say the file is corrupt. Camera was supposed to be 4k, but it looks like 240p with a lot of black frames. Lesson: buy GoPro or another established brand. Still working on it and I will post a link if I can get the video sorted out.

found out why my motor stuck. pick up line in the tank came off to one of my carbs.

Safety wire them to the pickup barb and then put them in the tank. Thats what I always did. And change the lines as soon as they start to harden. Don't know how you made it through the feature with only one carb pulling fuel?

Safety wire them to the pickup barb and then put them in the tank. Thats what I always did. And change the lines as soon as they start to harden. Don't know how you made it through the feature with only one carb pulling fuel?

me neither. i safety wired them yesterday. i dont see how it didnt stick at 410 degrees with one carb pulling fuel

Update:

Second time out with the EFI. Slightly different tune, different exhaust, and a better quality oil. Qualified 3rd out of 9 at J&M motorsports. Won the feature. 31 laps total: 187 degrees F max bearing temp, less than half a gallon of fuel used.

Video of feature (not mine):
https://www.facebook.com/lisa.connorclark/videos/10209492712214668/

Race was ended early by flagman after a pretty hard crash and red flag, which led to some heated arguing between drivers and was scored by the previous lap. Some people think every race is for a million dollars..... I will upload the helmet camera video of my practice laps soon.

Useful info for wankel owners/racers:
-Redline 2-cycle alcohol oil is awesome (but smells weird).
-Less restrictive exhaust seems to run very well. I've tried straight pipe and didn't like it. The muffler i'm using now is from a husqvarna fc450 (any 450 muffler could work, but the husky is repackable), with the fiberglass packing replaced with ceramic packing. I wouldn't try with the fiberglass packing, it would probably melt in 5 laps. Engine is still the quietest thing on the track, but is a little louder than the stock muffler. 450 muffler is also lighter.

Back