Reverse engine

flattop1

Dawg 89
I have been contemplating this . A few things that i have questions about .
The flywheel and timing . First the fins are going to be oriented wrong , prolly no big deal . Second timing would you just flip the coil over and retime . This seems correct .
Biggest thing is cam . Two options weld the lobes and regrind to suit . Or. Cut the lobes out. Turn them around reweld so there in phase . Both require welding and regrinding to some extent .
Lastly the dipper i suspect it is the same as the flywheel fins not an issue as it still flinging oil .

Use cam core for reversed lobes (swap intake and exhaust). Grind cam with that rotation in mind. change timing mark to be in correct location.
Coil flip would be correct.
Flathead dipper built on rod, with no cup is not particular in rotation direction.

Might be easier to drive from the flywheel side with everything else still the same?

Flywheel will be turning backwards, would that be a problem? You could easily cut a new keyway in the flywheel with the proper position to correct the timing. I've heard people run without a key?
What about the carburetor and exhaust pipe? All that heat coming off the exhaust pipe might change the air fuel mixture.
It's so easy with a KT or Komet.

Coil has an induction trigger built in so rotation is the important thing .
Cam timing events are still not 100% clear . Why swap the intake for the exhaust lobes ? They havent changed locations . Only rotation direction .
Even if you retime a current cam to open at the proper time , it should run . Maybe not optimum but stll run .
A symetrical cam not a slapper .

Coil has an induction trigger built in so rotation is the important thing .
Cam timing events are still not 100% clear . Why swap the intake for the exhaust lobes ? They havent changed locations . Only rotation direction .
Even if you retime a current cam to open at the proper time , it should run . Maybe not optimum but stll run .
A symetrical cam not a slapper .
Because if you reverse engine rotation, the intake will open first, then the exhaust, then compression stroke.
You could swap carb and pipe and leave symetrical cam.
It would run.

The swapped cam core would get intake and exhaust events timed correctly.

I wonder how hard (read expensive) it would be for Isky to grind a cam with reverse timing? What about the head, could a mirror image be made without too much trouble? Same with the flywheel, could they make a mirror image? On a side note, are you going to look for a 2nd job?

Here's what I did...

Attachments

• resized jackshaft.jpg
    resized jackshaft.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 114
  • resized jackshaft side.jpg
    resized jackshaft side.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 117
I think vertical shaft flathead had the cam lobes reversed, for a core to do the cam copier thing.
Just so happens someone pushed one too the curb !
We will soon find out but it looks like the intake is on the flywheel side .
👍

No Love . looks just like the lobes on my flathead cams , as far as location .
3.5 hp . Plastic lobes , plastic gear .

Upon further inspection . They used an intake tube too get the fuel air mix into the intake tract entering in from the output shaft side . Making it appear as if the ports were differnt .

Last edited:
In case anyones curious.

Attachments

• 20200513_125158.jpg
    20200513_125158.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 20200513_124239.jpg
    20200513_124239.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 49
Back