RF Feathering

2Aron

After the feature I find feathering on the RF inside edge about 3/4" (uncut new 33). I tried decreasing negative camber to increase contact patch but it didn't transfer weight and wound up pushing, I reset camber and it handled well but still feathered. Would more caster and less camber present the tire flatter, but still transfer weight? Would it hurt roll speed?

After the feature I find feathering on the RF inside edge about 3/4" (uncut new 33). I tried decreasing negative camber to increase contact patch but it didn't transfer weight and wound up pushing, I reset camber and it handled well but still feathered. Would more caster and less camber present the tire flatter, but still transfer weight? Would it hurt roll speed?
Did you reset cross after changing camber a half degree?

Likely increase in cross prevented kart from getting on rr.
Was probably good for roll speed though.

Did you reset cross after changing camber a half degree?

Likely increase in cross prevented kart from getting on rr.
I have not scaled it with the camber change, the couple weeks before I have been adding cross and it has just gotten faster. Last race on the ride home she told me this was the first time she's felt comfortable with the kart.

I have not scaled it with the camber change, the couple weeks before I have been adding cross and it has just gotten faster. Last race on the ride home she told me this was the first time she's felt comfortable with the kart.
Which chassis ? What were all your set numbers going in ? Including cambers and caster.
As far as your original question J.P pretty much confirmed most of your issue, the fact the tire was to fresh didn't help any, plus assuming it's a flat kart 3.25 neg camber didnt help matters eother.

Which chassis ? What were all your set numbers going in ? Including cambers and caster.
As far as your original question J.P pretty much confirmed most of your issue, the fact the tire was to fresh didn't help any, plus assuming it's a flat kart 3.25 neg camber didnt help matters eother.
Millennium Impulse, she runs in Lo206 sportsman 350lb. I haven't scaled it in a couple weeks and have added cross since then. At -3 it has the fastest lap times she's ever had. I'll see about a set of semi rounds and see how it works. Might try less camber, more caster tonight in practice and see what it does.

Millennium Impulse, she runs in Lo206 sportsman 350lb. I haven't scaled it in a couple weeks and have added cross since then. At -3 it has the fastest lap times she's ever had. I'll see about a set of semi rounds and see how it works. Might try less camber, more caster tonight in practice and see what it does.
Unless tried and true proven don't know that you want semi round cut, most likely round cuts.

I tried -2.75 camber and 1.5° more caster last night and it fixed the feathering problem, now it's grained heavy across the inside half of the tire and lighter to 3/4. She was on pace and the kart looked great through both heats and the feature. She won her first heat from the pole, 2nd in the 2nd heat from last, and made the pole for the feature. Other than yielding to the points leader and letting a couple more get by it was one of her best nights ever.

You can look around the pits and on the grid and see what mosr everyone else that's fast is using, if you don't have any local tire guy's that know
Most of the karts had a pretty flat profile on them, a couple had rounder cuts, and a couple had fresh scuffs with the lines still on them.

I tried -2.75 camber and 1.5° more caster last night and it fixed the feathering problem, now it's grained heavy across the inside half of the tire and lighter to 3/4. She was on pace and the kart looked great through both heats and the feature. She won her first heat from the pole, 2nd in the 2nd heat from last, and made the pole for the feature. Other than yielding to the points leader and letting a couple more get by it was one of her best nights ever.
Did it fix the feathering problem OR did the track just not have as much grip not over working the tire as much, not being up on the inside shoulder should have helped though, Out of hundred plus races a year I could count on one hand the amount of times we've rerun the same tires for heats and feature, and if we did they would get resurfaced between runs, good chance the graining your seeing now is from sliding.

Adding caster should have increased camber gain . It also would allow the chassis transfer more .
Tires also are now heat cycled and if you resurfaced them back smooth , ground some edge off .

We don't have local tire guys that I know of.
I have done many sets of tires for guys that run at GSR. Good folks that are winning as well. We use our Intermediate profile that keeps some shoulder on the tire to the first mold line, rounds to the wear dots, then is flatter between the wear dots with very slight crown.

If you're just wearing the inside of the RF, that tells me the kart is too tight and your driver has too much wheel input (turned left) to keep it on the inside shoulder too long which builds localized heat and wear.

Get the kart loosened up (either more rear stagger, more nose, more anything that helps get the car off that RF.)

Feel free to give us a call at the shop during business hours and I'd be glad to talk with you in more detail about our tire program for GSR.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I have done many sets of tires for guys that run at GSR. Good folks that are winning as well. We use our Intermediate profile that keeps some shoulder on the tire to the first mold line, rounds to the wear dots, then is flatter between the wear dots with very slight crown.

If you're just wearing the inside of the RF, that tells me the kart is too tight and your driver has too much wheel input (turned left) to keep it on the inside shoulder too long which builds localized heat and wear.

Get the kart loosened up (either more rear stagger, more nose, more anything that helps get the car off that RF.)

Feel free to give us a call at the shop during business hours and I'd be glad to talk with you in more detail about our tire program for GSR.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
It wore a lot more even this week than it had been. She did mention a slight push in the later half of the feature. We were going to work with some more rear stagger this week. She could run a lower line coming off the corner than most of the others though.

You were recommended to me this week for midwest track knowledge, I will give you a call. Thanks.

Back