Righetti Ridolfi Brake Issue

Cjak20

Hi,

I am relatively new to karting and have been rebuilding an old go kart, I purchased the Righetti Ridolfi 2pn100 brake system and mounted it to my frame with a custom mount. I have bled the system with no problems but the brake feels weak. Hopefully someone would be able to assist me in solving this problem.
KW-K381N-C-2.jpg

Caliper.jpgMaster cyclinder.jpg
Thanks in advance.

We use the same brakes on a 206 chassis. If you have a bleed tool that places the reservoir well above the master cylinder, it will help to remove any pocket of air that may have been trapped. Once we used a bleeder tool (reservoir well above the m/c), our pedal had much better feel.

We use the same brakes on a 206 chassis. If you have a bleed tool that places the reservoir well above the master cylinder, it will help to remove any pocket of air that may have been trapped. Once we used a bleeder tool (reservoir well above the m/c), our pedal had much better feel.
Yes, I know the one. I made my own to try and save money, but I guess it is not as good as the real deal. I will get the proper tool and try again.
Thanks for the help guys.

You used the right fluid for that system? If not you can soften the seals with the wrong type.

It's critical you first fill the MC before you start bleeding and make sure the MC arm is fully relaxed (detach the brake rod if needed). Don't attach the gravity bleeder for this. Open the plug, jack the back of the kart up about 15 - 20 centimeters and pour the fluid in a small stream so the air can get out as it fills. If you tried this before and got air in the MC, you can poke a small plastic tie wrap in there to break up any bubbles.

Bleed the air out of your gravity bleeder and have an excess of fluid in the plug hole so you're not trapping any air as you install it. After that, attach your gravity bleeder or pressure pot. What ever you do, DON'T EVER PUMP THE PEDAL! Next open the two top bleed screws on each side of the caliper and wait patiently for the fluid to gravity feed down the line, fill the caliper and run out of both bleed screws. If you tried this before and got air in the line, you'll have to bleed a good amount of fluid out to get all the air out. Don't let your gravity feeder run out of fluid.

Close the bleeders and put the MC plug back in and test for a hard pedal. The other thing is to check you're getting good travel of your MC arm from your pedal linkage. If the rod is low on the pedal and high on the arm you might not be displacing enough fluid.

Your brake system in good working order can lock the rear axle at any speed.

Sundog

Last edited:
You used the right fluid for that system? If not you can soften the seals with the wrong type.

It's critical you first fill the MC before you start bleeding and make sure the MC arm is fully relaxed (detach the brake rod if needed). Don't attach the gravity bleeder for this. Open the plug, jack the back of the kart up about 15 - 20 centimeters and pour the fluid in a small stream so the air can get out as it fills. If you tried this before and got air in the MC, you can poke a small plastic tie wrap in there to break up any bubbles.

Bleed the air out of your gravity bleeder and have an excess of fluid in the plug hole so you're not trapping any air as you install it. After that, attach your gravity bleeder or pressure pot. What ever you do, DON'T EVER PUMP THE PEDAL! Next open the two top bleed screws on each side of the caliper and wait patiently for the fluid to gravity feed down the line, fill the caliper and run out of both bleed screws. If you tried this before and got air in the line, you'll have to bleed a good amount of fluid out to get all the air out. Don't let your gravity feeder run out of fluid.

Close the bleeders and put the MC plug back in and test for a hard pedal. The other thing is to check you're getting good travel of your MC arm from your pedal linkage. If the rod is low on the pedal and high on the arm you might not be displacing enough fluid.

Sundog
Yes I believe I am using the right fluid which is dot 4. I will give your method a try. Thanks

Sundog
Ok I have followed your method and I can certainly notice an improvement, thanks for your help.

Where/who did you get the system from? Just in case you got it from the same low lifes that ripped me off a few years ago.

Back