Right tire lifting when turning.

EthanP3

I have an old 97 sidewinder oval kart(when I bought it didn't know about adjustments) I'm having an issue of when I turn the right tire will "pick up" off the ground giving me about an inch of right tire and causing me to wash up the corner. I've been told to move the washers to move the tire down but that hasn't helped any. My last resort is to heat the spindle up and bend it down. Any suggestions before I take a torch too it?

sounds as if you bought a junk kart, id trash it and find something else.
taking a torch to it will cause more damage.

One good trip through the infield or a brush with the wall can knock the front end out of alignment but without a couple basic tools to measure it, you would just be chasing your tail.

I can't remember, but the Probe Sidewinder had adjustable caster, correct? Maybe you've got entirely too much caster in it currently. We use to shim the top of the caster plate (disc) out with .020" stainless to reduce camber on those karts.
We should have weldment plates and caster discs on the shelf for that kart still (20+ years of dust on them I'm sure) in case you get crafty with the torch and need to save it.
If it's just the spindle or king pin bent, start with that.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I can't remember, but the Probe Sidewinder had adjustable caster, correct? Maybe you've got entirely too much caster in it currently. We use to shim the top of the caster plate (disc) out with .020" stainless to reduce camber on those karts.
We should have weldment plates and caster discs on the shelf for that kart still (20+ years of dust on them I'm sure) in case you get crafty with the torch and need to save it.
If it's just the spindle or king pin bent, start with that.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
No adjustments on this kart out side of moving washers on top or bottom of the spindle

I'm thinking the spindle is bent. I have a couple conversations with the wall before.
Take the spindle off you should be able to get it back close without torch just using a vise and pipe wrench's maybe a pry bar or so, If you get the spindle close move the washers back to the bottom you took away.

Broken/cracked frame ?
If I'm understanding correctly, you are saying the camber
increases to where the RF tire is only touching on about 1"
of the tire ?

Not ruling out a bent spindle, but what about the frame?

Remove both front tires and spindles. Both rear tires. Set kart on a flat surface. The garage floor should work just fine. Measure the height of the spindles. Any difference would indicate a bent frame.

I assume you are talking about when the kart is at rest? If it is happening on the track it would seem you have a kart that is violating the laws of physics. If you are turning left weight simply MUST transfer to the right and lifting either RH tire is impossible. If it was me I would forget about bending anything before actually figuring out what is wrong. (IF ANYTHING)Most likely Mr. Carlson is correct, you have messed up caster. Post pics of the spindle blocks and many of us will be able to confirm the problem

Last edited:
I assume you are talking about when the kart is at rest? If it is happening on the track it would seem you have a kart that is violating the laws of physics. If you are turning left weight simply MUST transfer to the right and lifting either RH tire is impossible. If it was me I would forget about bending anything before actually figuring out what is wrong. Most likely Mr. Carlson is correct, you have messed up caster. Post pics of the spindle blocks and many of us will be able to confirm the problem
Its doing it in turns but you can see it when it's resting

By the way it is doing what it is supposed to do, just doing way to much of it. The effect of the rf tire being "lifted" is to unload the LR.

By the way when you are negotiating the turn how much are you turning the wheel. If the kart is set up properly you should be barely moving it.

Not ruling out a bent spindle, but what about the frame?

Remove both front tires and spindles. Both rear tires. Set kart on a flat surface. The garage floor should work just fine. Measure the height of the spindles. Any difference would indicate a bent frame.
the spindles are not the same height on a LTO kart and any washer difference would also compound the issue. the chassis spindles are not on the same plane to compensate the difference in tire sizes. Setting a brand new kart on a flat garage floor without knowing better would result in thinking the chassis was warped. you would need to compare it to a known strait frame

the spindles are not the same height on a LTO kart and any washer difference would also compound the issue. the chassis spindles are not on the same plane to compensate the difference in tire sizes. Setting a brand new kart on a flat garage floor without knowing better would result in thinking the chassis was warped. you would need to compare it to a known strait frame
You're familiar with that frame? You know for a fact is how they do it? Frame is 21 years old! I'm pretty sure they did a lot of things differently back then!

He's correct Al, and even if the spindle was bent it would measure different, the spindles not measure the same is not proof the frame is bent.

Back