Rim Sizes?

racer_48

I'm trying to buy rims for my go kart tires. I'm on BMI Karts and Parts right now. The problems is the it is asking for measurements I'm not sure how to find.

It wants the width, which I'm pretty sure is the second number in the tire size. It also needs to know "backspacing", which I have no clue how to find. YouTube hasn't helped me in finding what backspacing is very much. How should I find what my tire's backspacing is.

Tire sizes: 10.5 - 5 - 6 and 11 -6.5 -6 . (2 of each)
Hoosier A40

Attachments

• 000000000000000.JPG
    000000000000000.JPG
    9.6 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Your going to want 6 or 6.5 for the 5 inch wide
7-8 for the 6.5 . Back spacing choice is limited and somewhat chassis dependent . Likely 2.5 and 3.5 .
Thse turf tires ?
On a flat kart ?

I had a buller aero you could put any tire wheel combo on you wanted .
The newer chassis not quite that way .
They have you limited more to its design parameters.

You measure from the hub . Lay a straight edge on it measure to the nearest fixed object . Typicall interfernce points are spindle arms in front and rear frame rail . Both frt and rear should be adjustable in and out .
You have no wheels now ? Measure from wheel rim . Lay a small straight edge on wheel measure to hub mounting surface .

Last edited:
racing promotor do you measure from rear out side lip of wheel to mounting flange.
( i measure mine by laying down on flat surface inside of wheel on flat surface drop ruler through hole and look to see
what ruler says at mounting surface does this seem correct to get wheel offset )

racing promotor do you measure from rear out side lip of wheel to mounting flange.
( i measure mine by laying down on flat surface inside of wheel on flat surface drop ruler through hole and look to see
what ruler says at mounting surface does this seem correct to get wheel offset )
I just lay the wheel on side with back of wheel up, lay a straight edge across and measure down to back side stud holes, 8.25" wheel is 3" back set, 8.5" wheel is 3.5" back set, the 10" wheels if I remember correctly I think are 4" back set.

I'm trying to buy rims for my go kart tires. I'm on BMI Karts and Parts right now. The problems is the it is asking for measurements I'm not sure how to find.

It wants the width, which I'm pretty sure is the second number in the tire size. It also needs to know "backspacing", which I have no clue how to find. YouTube hasn't helped me in finding what backspacing is very much. How should I find what my tire's backspacing is.

Tire sizes: 10.5 - 5 - 6 and 11 -6.5 -6 . (2 of each)
Hoosier A40
You will likely want 6" & 8 1/2" wide wheels for the tire sizes that you mentioned.
We have the wheels (and tires) if you need, but it looks like you found them elsewhere already.
If there's any way that we can help in the future, please don't hesitate to reach out to us by calling the shop during business hours (8-6 Mon-Thurs or leave a mesg. and we'll get back with you.)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

You will likely want 6" & 8 1/2" wide wheels for the tire sizes that you mentioned.
We have the wheels (and tires) if you need, but it looks like you found them elsewhere already.
If there's any way that we can help in the future, please don't hesitate to reach out to us by calling the shop during business hours (8-6 Mon-Thurs or leave a mesg. and we'll get back with you.)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Here ya go OP call Brian !!

I'll definitely keep you all in mind, thank you! Do you know what backspacing would be on those?

Ha. So right now I'm looking at this picture. I would take the ones that are 6 and 8 1/2? I would imagine I should find tires that match a backspacing number and width number? I guess what I want to know is, is backspacing just universal to whatever the width is and as long as you get the right width, backspacing will be correct?

Attachments

• 000000000000000.JPG
    000000000000000.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 29
Ha. So right now I'm looking at this picture. I would take the ones that are 6 and 8 1/2? I would imagine I should find tires that match a backspacing number and width number? I guess what I want to know is, is backspacing just universal to whatever the width is and as long as you get the right width, backspacing will be correct?

No.
Tires could care less what backspacing they are mounted on.
You order the back spacing you need for your chassis.
Most chassis manufacturers have recommendations for offset (or backset.)

Typically you order the fronts to be shallow offsets. Some champ karts on pavement run what is called a "flip" wheel on the LF - Rage specifies this for their chassis.
From the photo you attached, it appears that there only is one option for each of the width wheels that you need.
The option for the deeper offset LF doesn't appear in that photo.

No.
Tires could care less what backspacing they are mounted on.
You order the back spacing you need for your chassis.
Most chassis manufacturers have recommendations for offset (or backset.)

Typically you order the fronts to be shallow offsets. Some champ karts on pavement run what is called a "flip" wheel on the LF - Rage specifies this for their chassis.
From the photo you attached, it appears that there only is one option for each of the width wheels that you need.
The option for the deeper offset LF doesn't appear in that photo.
That's one of the multitude of rim option on the website I'm looking at. So backspacing will be no big deal no matter what I get really is what I'm understanding? it's more for tuning the setup of the kart?

Back