Rings

If you want Briggs factory ring sets with less tension call me. Be prepared to give me the exact bore size you have (measure it) 920-207-9180
You could call Total Seal Piston rings 1-623-587-7400 or Toll Free 1-800-874-2753 they may be able to help you.

Use the chrome top ring from Briggs.
Other rings can be de-tensioned which will help.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
i am under the impression the chrome is rougher on the bores than what is typically used in engines that dont have spec ring rules. Any truth?

I was on the total seal website and found something that might work i will have to call and see what they say

its still at the machine shop so i dont know exact bore size yet. Piston is .020 over

Last edited:
The chrome ring will last a very long time in a sprint racing engine simply because you don't have all the dirt that you have with dirt oval racing.
I would say that there is no truth to the chrome ring being harder on the bore. In my opinion the large amount of tension from the oil ring and the dirt ingestion are the major wear factors.

Yep, agree with Jimbo.
The chrome ring won't wear as fast, but I don't see the cylinder wearing any quicker than normal with it either.
Less ring wear means the compression ring end gap stays tighter, and less worn off ferrous metal is being drug up and down the cylinder.
The oil certainly comes out much cleaner (and also thanks to the detensioned lower rings.)

Hears a picture of the oil ring out of a sprint racing motor and a dirt oval motor. This is obviously an extreme case but the ring on the left (from a sprint motor) is from one of the original motors that was so old it had an expired seal.
The second ring from the dirt motor also had extreme wear but the top ring still had the chrome plating on it.
I strongly recommend that you do everything you can to keep the dirt out of your motor. I recommend using a dirt deflector between the RR tire and the air filter. The bigger the better. If you have dirt coming off the front tire be sure to address that issue also.
unnamed.jpg

Hears a picture of the oil ring out of a sprint racing motor and a dirt oval motor. This is obviously an extreme case but the ring on the left (from a sprint motor) is from one of the original motors that was so old it had an expired seal.
The second ring from the dirt motor also had extreme wear but the top ring still had the chrome plating on it.
I strongly recommend that you do everything you can to keep the dirt out of your motor. I recommend using a dirt deflector between the RR tire and the air filter. The bigger the better. If you have dirt coming off the front tire be sure to address that issue also.
View attachment 14114
Picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks

So the ring on the right started as the ring on the left ?
That is extreme wear .
Yes both are from 2 different Briggs 206 motors.
Keep the dirt out and it will last a very longtime!!

View attachment 14114
You may have hit on one of the the reasons why the LO didn't catch on all that great with the dirt folk.

You may have hit on one of the the reasons why the LO didn't catch on all that great with the dirt folk.
Possibly Bob.....for sure you would want to make sure your air filter system is working good! Although if you wear out the rings in an LO206 just replace the short block for $300.00 and go racing again. The cost to have a Clone engine rebuilt is probably more, unless your doing all the work yourself ?????????

Steve

^ and the fact that you can wear out ANY engine with poor filter maintenance.
Can't tell you how many times we've rebuilt engines (flathead, animal, clone, etc.) and replaced pistons due to dirt ingestion.
Good air filtration is a must on ANY engine raced on dirt.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Bob
I have been waiting for that shoe to drop but I think Steve and Brian have answered your post very well.
There are ways to keep the dirt out of the motor that I have been promoting but people (for what ever reason) have not widely adapted.
One simple solution is to put a dirt deflector between the RR tire and the air filter! A plastic bucket can be cut and attached to the bearing hanger to prevent dirt from coming off the tire at hundreds of mile per hour and blasting through the air filter.
There is also a curved intake manifold that would put the air filter in a much better location, not directly over the tire.

Early in our years of racing I did not think any extraordinary efforts were needed on air filters as we raced asphalt. One day it was dusty simply from an unusual number of karts going off the track. After the race the new engine I just had put on that evening would not start. Diagnosis was lack of compression due to the intake valve hanging open because the port had an accumulation of methanol mud... This was a blue plate flathead. Any engine will experience excessive wear if allowed to ingest dirt.

Possibly Bob.....for sure you would want to make sure your air filter system is working good! Although if you wear out the rings in an LO206 just replace the short block for $300.00 and go racing again. The cost to have a Clone engine rebuilt is probably more, unless your doing all the work yourself ?????????

Steve
If you are doing it yourself a clone rebuild including a crank is around $100 unless the head needs done

I have been waiting for that shoe to drop but I think Steve and Brian have answered your post very well.
Well, no one dropped it, so I decided to take the heat. :)

Any way of knowing how much run time was on the motors?
Local sprint tracks run once or twice a month, in some areas you can hit a couple dirt tracks in the same weekend.
Once upon a time, about half the guys that came to 4Cycle built or, at least, refreshed their own motors. And took pride in it.

FYI, the 206 filter is designed to be oiled. Very rarely do I see anyone oiling their air filter. With Oil and and an outerwears filter, I have had no issues with dirt getting in and I race on a track that creates very fine particulate matter.

We ran our L206 on dirt for 2 years with no problems.
Properly oiled and an Outwears. A variety of tracks - some total dustbowls.

We've run the animal for many years on dirt with no problems.
Again, proper filtration goes a LONG way.

No mudflap, but I wouldn't be opposed to it either, as long as it wasn't used to stall the air or create direction for the air in and around the filter.
We used mudflaps over the RR tire on our super stock and limited flatheads with Tillys for many many years. Again, no problem as long as you keep good filtration on them.

Back