RLV 4T oil

01ron

Does anyone know if the new RLV 4T oil is compatible with Briggs 4T or Amsoil Dominator oil. I can not find out anywhere whether the RLV oil is PAO or PAG based. Just says it's "synthetic oil".

It is compatible. We have had a few customers switch to RLV 4T from Briggs 4T without issue. We still use Briggs 4T, but would not try to stop anyone if they wanted to switch.

Using a thin oil is dangerous and does not produce more power! in fact a bit thicker oil can produce more power.You always want all the rubbing and sliding surfaces to have a fluid film between them to reduce / eliminate wear and friction. As wear and friction increase, power decreases.
If these engines had oil pumps and oil passage ways that strategically directed oil in the high stressed locations we may talk about using a thin viscosity oil.

Steve

Last edited:
The discussions about oil are usually amusing, most argue you must have specific oil engineered for splash system, and flat tappet engines. Then you see them using some concoction mixed up in a back room, that has a pineapple smell, a purple color and viscosity of Hi Karate after shave. must have no clue what is needed, and use what they use because Bubba used it and he won a race in 1981.

There's something to be made of parasitic drag with some of the heavier/clingier oils. I think it's a trade-off of a very slight amount of acceleration over premature wear. "Theoretically" it should make a difference.
I'd suggest that half a pound of air pressure will make more difference in lap times than oil viscosity.

Many years ago (20+) we tested every oil on the market, private blends, and many that were just being developed for karting. The results were many worn out rings/cylinders, scuffed pistons, and gazillion hours on the dyno to pretty much determine it didn't matter if you ran 10W30 or 00000W (what they call Five Ought Zero = 5 times thinner than 0 weight) for power output. It DID, however, matter for protection.
Granted we were testing with a flathead mule engine and didn't have the testing capability that we have today, nor was it done on an acceleration type dyno, but conclusion was that we wasted a LOT of time testing every oil imaginable to man-kind searching for that unicorn oil that made more (= freed up more) power.

Now there was this one oil....
:)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I used to try to explain to competitors that made the claim of flammables in the oil, various claims were made about volatiles in the oil that made certain people faster. My assertion is an engine with half a quart of oil in the sump would need some amazing chemical, and be be built so loose and sloppy to leave enough of this miraculous propellant in the combustion chamber to make a difference. Think about that engine the engine oil is the carrier of this fuel, how much of this fuel must be entering the combustion chamber to make a power difference. If you could get enough in the chamber you will have a tremendous amount of engine oil there also which is a power killer, the engine built that sloppy cannot be making power, the only way to get the oil into the chamber, is the rings leave it on the cylinder wall or past the intake valve guide. The myths surrounding oil are as believable as tuning your carb by spark plug gasket temperature.

Does anyone know if the new RLV 4T oil is compatible with Briggs 4T or Amsoil Dominator oil. I can not find out anywhere whether the RLV oil is PAO or PAG based. Just says it's "synthetic oil".
I would not use it it’s not as Gud as 🦗4t Amsoil that problem in karting everyone. Tries to market a spin off of someone else’s product

I'm confused................isn't RLV a header manufacture and didn't Briggs allow RLV to be the only legal LO206 class spec header!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve, I only asked this question because they gave us some free RLV 4T oil at the Maxxis Grand Nationals and I wanted to make sure it was a PAO and not a PAG oil. We have used either Briggs 4T or your oil for some time now and did not want to contaminate the engine if the oil was a PAG. If it was PAG, it was going in the trash can or I was going to give it away.

I too did the Carlson testing ad nauseum---results----oil lubricates, oil cools, oil suspends particulates to be expelled when dumping the crankcase. Change oil frequently and use what works for you. But as Brian says, there was that one oil...

Just an FYI at this point, for those who are reading this to find out the best 4-cycle oil, some of serious engine builders have weighed in the subject with the essentially the same answers. That is the best information you can get.

Back