Road Racing Rules Update - Does NOT make Sense

desi199

"Dual rear brakes may also use one caliper as long as
the calipers are connected to separate master cylinders and the caliper sides are not hydraulically connected to each other."

I thought it was two calipers, 2 master cylinders, and one rotor minimum?

Most rear calipers are split systems. Each half is independent of the other only tied together on the hydraulic side as BOTH halves are feed from the same source. IF you use one master cylinder for each half of the rear caliper you have an independent dual system brake.

It is the most cost effective may to make the rule. NOT the best idea BUT it does work.

(;-) TP

It is the most cost effective may to make the rule. NOT the best idea BUT it does work.

(;-) TP

This is a new one on me Terry, If I get what you are saying, you use two master cylinders, and each operates one side of a single caliper? So if one master cylinder fails, you'd only be applying pad pressure to only one side of the rotor. That's scareeeey!

I have seen that on a couple karts in the past.....not a good idea at all. Rotor deflection and any axle movement and you have nothing! It is not a good idea even if the rules say it is legal.

The early tony//kart brakes are set up with 2 master cylinders, and work just fine to meet the rules. And it would be a snap to add a 2nd MCP m/c to an American kart and plumb it so each m/c drove one half of the calipers. In fact, it's what I'll do if I ever roadrace. It's no better (or worse) than setting that 2nd full caliper up so that it never really grabs so you don't have extra parasitic drag -- and don't tell me people don't do that. :)

"Dual rear brakes may also use one caliper as long as
the calipers are connected to separate master cylinders and the caliper sides are not hydraulically connected to each other."

I thought.it was two calipers, 2 master cylinders, and one rotor minimum?
You are correct I had a discussion with tech at VIR this year and that is the rule. Now I am not aware of any updates u may want to ck..:cool:

It's no better (or worse) than setting that 2nd full caliper up so that it never really grabs so you don't have extra parasitic drag -- and don't tell me people don't do that. :)
Actually I set them up to get about as much equal braking as possible. I don't know of anyone who would pull back the second set of pads. There may be some that do, but I wouldn't. You have to remember road racing speeds are a lot higher than sprint tracks.

Agree, Bill. Ted, top speeds on tracks like Summit Point or CMP are crazy, and Daytona is even worst. There hasn´t been a rule I could agree more than when they made mandatory this dual brake sistem for the clone classes too. I have driven other than my karts 2 more and both braked as much as they should and even more. I would take any drag compared to wrecking at the end of any of those long straights with the gear ratios we run and no engine brake at all.

Back