Road rat chassis?

Kyracer7r

Does anyone know anything about these karts? Are they worth while to get started? Are parts hard to find? I appreciate any help!

Devil-D-Dawg

Do it. If I could start over, I would have spent less on my first ride(s). Use it as long as you can, then move on.

If you are one of those left turn dirt guys then this probably isn't for you. If you are interested in left AND right turns, there is no reason NOT to start here.

jake17j

you'd be better off buying a name brand chassis that's a little older. those really isn't what I would call a race chassis. It's kind of like the two man cruiser bomber car class we ran back in the day the first rule was "These are not race cars they are cars we race" that's what the chassis is not a race chassis but a chassis you could race

Jake, please elaborate more extensively on your differences. I'd say for a beginner they'd be a wonderful option. They ARE built as race chassis' as a cost effective alternative, especially for a beginner. Are you hypothetically comparing a Road Rat to, say, a CRG, Tony, Birel, etc.? Opposite ends of the spectrum not worthy of a legitimate comparison. Kinda like comparing an Eclipse to a Ferrari. JMHO -Alan-

kart49

there no adjustment on the front end other than a wedge bolt for cross. caster and camber is not adjustable. they have a heavy solid rear axle. the frame cracks very easly where the nerf barbs mount. I tried to get setup info from the company and they had no clue what I was asking for. abuddy of mine had one. I would rec a used phantom or ultramax over a road rat. this is my opinion.

kart49

there no adjustment on the front end other than a wedge bolt for cross. caster and camber is not adjustable. they have a heavy solid rear axle. the frame cracks very easly where the nerf barbs mount. I tried to get setup info from the company and they had no clue what I was asking for. abuddy of mine had one. I would rec a used phantom or ultramax over a road rat. this is my opinion.
when we switched him into a old badmax has was able to win. he could run any better than mid pack with the road rat

jake17j

maybe that's the case for sprint racing I have no idea but if I had the money to buy a new road rat I'd rather buy something a little older of a popular brand. on an oval I wouldn't waste the money on entry fee's if that's what I had

OK gang. I stopped by Road Rat and had a great conversation with them about the Road Rat karts. (1) The new karts they will be building WILL have adjustable front spindles. (2) They will be switching from mild steel to chrome-moly tubing as well. (3) The engine mounting plate will be increased to 15 degrees. And (4) the sprint karts will come with a newer style bodywork. Yes, they will retain the 40mm axle but hey, there are lots of 40mm choices if you don't like the original. I voiced the common complaints about them and was told they are doing all they can to provide the best kart for the dollar for THE BEGINNER. They build these karts to get folks introduced to karting. Honestly, I liked what I saw. JMHO -Alan-

Ted Hamilton

Helmet Painter / Racer
The Road Rat I worked with, when I tried to bend/flex the seat strut for the smaller seat, the weld broke at the frame -- a case of embrittlement. That being the case, I'd check ALL the welds often, especially after a wreck or hard hit. Other than that, the full-width rear bumper was nice. The rear brake was motorcycle-style -- pads always dragging slightly, so beware of that too, unless they've changed. To start, any chassis will probably do, but I try to stick with known successful karts even if used so that I know they're capable of winning. Some designs just never work well. I'm not saying that Road Rat is in that category, but I've not heard of them winning a WKA title or similar....

I don't know of many chassis' out there aimed towards beginners that'd be winning titles. And yes, the brakes will be redone as well. I think with the new chrome-moly chassis a lot of frame/weld related issues will be resolved.

Qweedwag, how many laps do you have on one to draw that conclusion? Just curious.