Rocket Rim Clutch inboard setup

• Thread starter Deleted member 21174
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21174

I thinking about trying a Rocket Rim clutch but I am confused about the inboard set up. For an outboard sprocket a chamfered spacer (aka "radius washer") is the first thing put on the crankshaft (similar to the flame). For inboard the directions say no radius washer is needed. Is there a radius machined into the bearing race? I don't want to mess up the crankshaft. Has anyone set this up please?

Yes. In fact, if you go to the Rocket Rim page on the SMC website (kartclutches.com), all the clutch parts are listed. It's part number 4417 and if you blow up the picture of the part, you can see the radius.

We have been using this clutch for 10 months.

Thanks - I looked at that pic before but I was not really sure. It's good to hear from someone who is really using it. Do you like the clutch? How often do you pull it of the kart for cleaning/lubrication?

Best thing to do is download the instructions from the website and follow them completely. Especially not using sandpaper but only a fine wire brush. And be sure to clean the shoe/drum dust out. I use brake cleaner. It's the best drum clutch we have had so far (and we've had them all).

What is the engagement speed for this clutch with the stock springs or the orange springs? I've looked around and can't find much. We run blue slide Briggs and try to engage about 3000-3200 right now.

The orange springs were stock when we bought ours. It locked in completely at 3200. As time has passed, the RPMS have crept up slightly (3400) but that's after ten months of use.

Back